The Strength of the Weak - Chapter 32

Satomi P.O.V.

"So that's what happened to Sasuke!" Naruto says. Sakura had finally explained why Sasuke was missing to him, and we were currently on our way to locate him. My mind was a jumbled mess, worry for my brother permeating through everything.

"Everyone hurry it up!" Pakkun states, although I can hear a faint sense of panic in his voice, raising my suspicion.

"Have we almost caught up with Sasuke?" Naruto asks. Pakkun sighs and shakes his head, a troubled look in his eyes. I frown, knowing the news couldn't be good.

"No. There are 9 enemy shinobi following us."

I knew it.

"We should ambush them!" Naruto suggests, trying to come up with a viable solution to our problem. Pakkun thinks about it, but ultimately disagrees with Naruto's suggestion, much to his dismay.

It wouldn't work because of the two things needed for an ambush, we only had one. We had to assume the enemy knew our terrain... so we were out of luck.

"There is only one possible solution. One of us will have to stay behind as a decoy. However... the one who stays behind will most likely die," Shikamaru grumbles. Our group stops in the branches, none of us able to look each other in the eyes.

"There has to be another way..." Naruto mumbles dejectedly, clenching his fist in frustration. Shikamaru sighs from behind me, and I could just imagine him shaking his head at this hopeless situation.

"Look at what we have... a fool, a kunoichi with no particular talent, a mutt, an Uchiha who can't think straight because she's worried for her brother, and me, the one who doesn't even want to be here. We need the dog to track Sasuke... so that means it has to be one of us."

We sit in silence for a few moments, none of us opting to give our lives up so easily.

"I'll-"

"I'm the only one who can do it," Shikamaru says, cutting off Naruto's offer. We all whip around to face Shikamaru, disbelief painted across our faces.

"Why does it have to be you, Shikamaru? It's not fair..." Sakura mumbles weakly. I bite my lip in frustration, not knowing what to do. Should we really just leave Shikamaru behind to save Sasuke? Or do we all get killed together... what is the right answer?!

"Only I can do this... I have the highest chance of survival in this type of situation. My jutsu was made for this, so it's only common sense that I should stay behind. You guys go on... I'll catch up with you later," Shikamaru says, attempting to reassure us that he would be safe. despite the circumstances.

This is the kid who gave up during his match in the chunin exams. The laziest kid of the century... yet here he was, risking his life for the mission, like a true shinobi.

I never expected this out of him, of all people.

"B-But Shikamaru..." Sakura trembles. I sigh and turn around, forcing myself to look forward. Not behind me... not where Shikamaru stood, determined to stop the enemy in their tracks.

"Let's go, guys, we have to catch up to Sasuke," I state, struggling to keep my voice even. Sakura and Naruto gape at me, definitely surprised that I had just keeled over to Shikamaru's will so easily.

"Satomi?! How could yo-"

"I said let's go!" I shout, tears streaming down my face as I hop along a few branches. Although the rest of the team couldn't see my face, I'm sure they saw the tears trailing behind me. I can't believe I'm doing this... running away like a coward. How could I just leave a teammate behind like that?!