The Strength of the Weak - Chapter 38

Satomi P.O.V.

"Man, I can't believe we just missed her... might as well go out for a bite to eat. What do you say, Ryouichi?" Jiraiya grumbles, pointing to a restaurant next to us. We had gone to check out the commotion, but had arrived too late. Neither Tsunade nor Orochimaru were there when we arrived.

"As long as you pay, Jiraiya," Ryouichi-sensei says dismissively, entering the tavern with me trailing behind. Ryouichi-sensei sighs as Jiraiya whines, coming up behind the two of us with Naruto.

The tavern was small but cozy, housing a handful of guests sitting at both the bar and in booths. Suddenly, Ryouichi-sensei tenses up from next to me, his visible eye narrowed at two ladies sitting across the restaurant.

"Jiraiya, I think we found her," Ryouichi-sensei says, approaching the booth with the two ladies. Jiraiya grunts, looking towards where Ryouichi-sensei and I are heading before grinning like a fool.

"Well, I'll be damned... Tsunade, we've been looking for you everywhere," Jiraiya says casually, him and Naruto coming over to us. Tsunade looks from Ryouichi-sensei to Jiraiya, before scrunching her eyebrows in confusion.

"Ryouichi? Jiraiya? What the hell are you two doing here! Today's been like a damn reunion..." the blonde lady, Tsunade, grumbles, taking a sip of her sake. The four of us sit down, ordering some food before confronting Tsunade.

"You mean Orochimaru..." Jiraiya says, watching keenly as Tsunade pulls out a deck of cards and begins to shuffle them. Naruto looks back and forth between the two, a scowl on his face at the mention of the snake-like man.

She doesn't answer him, merely avoiding his gaze by occupying herself with the cards, confirming his suspicions.

"Tsunade, I'm sure you heard about what happened to Hiruzen-sensei..." Ryouichi-sensei states quietly, flicking his visible eye over to Tsunade. She grits her teeth, but doesn't respond once again, setting the cards in the center of the table.

"I'm going to cut right to the chase," Jiraiya says impatiently, "Konoha has decided that you are best suited to become the Fifth Hokage."

Naruto, who was previously eating rice, begins choking, pounding the table with his fist in shock. Was he not informed that this is why we came to get Tsunade?

"What the hell, Pervy Sage! I thought we were coming to get this lady so that she could heal Kakashi-sensei and Sasuke, not make her the next Hokage!" he complains, gesturing wildly towards Tsunade.

Tsunade's companion gasps, turning to her with wide, pleading eyes. What's up with her?

"Hush, Naruto. Tsunade... do you accept the position?" Jiraiya asks, glancing at the set of cards in his hand. Tsunade once again remains silent, glaring at her hand. She was obviously conflicted about the decision.

"Becoming Hokage... it's a fools game. Hiruzen-sensei and all of the other Hokage before him, they all died protecting the village. They died for nothing. That's not something I'm willing to do," Tsunade states simply, placing down her whole hand of cards and picking up a new one.

"I don't care who the hell you are, lady, but I'm not going to just sit here and let you trash talk the Hokage like that! It's ridiculous that you would even say such a thing! You better take that back, or I'll wipe that cynical smirk off of your face!" Naruto screeches, attempting to lunge at Tsunade, however, Jiraiya catches him before he can get far.

"Naruto, shut up and sit down," Jiraiya demands, and by the tone of his voice, everyone could tell he meant business. Naruto scoffs, plopping down in his seat and crossing his arms childishly.