Chapter 25: Christmas

Dipper woke up. He checked his phone, it was 2:09 am. He looked at Alice. She was fast asleep against the wall beside him. The air around him was still bitter cold, which made Dipper want to burry more of his body into the warm, thick blanket the two shared. He dozed off.
When his eyes opened again, it was a little lighter outside. Dipper looked beside him, Alice wasn't there.
Dipper got up frantically. He looked around the freezing outdoors to no avail.
The bitter air forced him back inside despite not finishing his search. He closed the door. On the wool blanket was a small, folded piece of paper. Dipper picked it up.
I'm really glad I got to see you one more time Dipper. But my time here is almost up. I knew I wouldn't be able to say goodbye so I didn't. But listen, you need to talk to Pacif...
"Bastard." Dipper didn't even finish the letter.
He through it into the snow outside.
Dipper fell on the ground, overcome with emotion.
She couldn't have gone far!
Dipper got up. He walked outside. It was much brighter and the snowfall had all but stopped. About 50 yards away, near the road, Dipper saw a sign that read, Gravity Falls: 3 miles
"Bingo." Dipper began running in that direction.
A few moments later, he had made it to the final mile of his journey. However, through the trees he saw the landscape of the town. Lack of breath, the elements, and the heavily pneumonic feeling in his lungs, convinced the rest of his tired body to take the shorter off-road path. He begun his walk when he heard the crunching of snow ahead of him to the right.
He jerked his head in the direction of the noise.
It was Alice.
She appeared to be looking at the town through the woods. The snow was beginning to fall once again.
Dipper painfully inhaled and let out a cry. His whole body shook. His lungs were strained. He arched his upper body in pain.
"ALICE WAIT!" He screamed. His voice was lost in the wind. Almost.
Alice turned around, shocked at his arrival.
"Alice, what did that mean. Alice, you don't have to go, I'll be there for you, I swear. Please don't leave!" Dipper collapsed on the ground.
"Dipper I'm sorry, I want to stay. I want to be with you, I just... I can't!"
"Liar... Lair!" Dipper was out of breath. He was out of strength, his eyes began watering. He fell on the ground. His hands covering his face as he buried himself into the snow.
Dipper felt a hand on his upper back. He looked up, Alice was in front of him, smiling.
"Dipper I really love you. I just can't stay. Not in this life. I'm so sorry."
Dipper looked up. She was speaking nonsense to him.
Alice was surrounded by an ominous glow.
Dipper opened his mouth and attempted to speak, however he was unable to.
The harsh cold wind blew, with it blinding Dipper with a sheet of snow.
Dipper involuntarily bowed his head and closed his eyes to shield himself from the harsh conditions.
"Dipper, I love you. Goodbye." Alice's voice disappeared with the wind.

When it died down, Dipper looked up. She was gone.
Dipper pondered the experience. He finally understood, Alice never survived. She was never physically a part of this world thereafter.
Alice is dead. Like she has been for two years. Dipper told himself.
He returned to his position, sulking into the cold snow.