Chapter 28: Apiphany

Hours Passed. The area gradually darkened as the sun sank deeper behind the mountains. The sky began to turned a dark shade of red. It seemed as though the ambience of the falls grew louder as the afternoon turned to evening and so on. Dipper remained seated at the bench, staring aimlessly at the falls.
What am I still doing here?
Dipper thought about leaving, but something told him to stay; so he did.
As the sun set further, the evening turned to a dim twilight. It was getting bitter cold. The static charge from streetlights powering on could be heard from further back in the town.
The snow crunched a few yards behind Dipper, which startled him. He figured it was a person, just a passers-by. They were too far away to notice that he was sitting by the lake.
Dipper felt his phone vibrating in his coat pocket. He was surprised it still worked; however more so at the caller ID tag,
Pacifica Northwest.
Dipper sat, nearly stunned.
Why now? What could she want?
His phone continued to buzz.
He stared at it until it stopped.
With that, the cracked screen blackened. She was gone. Dipper put his head down in frustration.
"Damn. Ugh, why won't he pick up?" The voice came from behind Dipper. He looked up, his eyes wide open. He turned around. It was Pacifica, standing a mere few yards away.
She threw her phone into the snow before she went on a rant.
"That jerk! He doesn't even ca- uh" Pacifica noticed him. Their eyes met briefly. Dipper then broke away. He looked down on the ground.
"'Thought your flight left." Dipper said after moments of silence.
Pacifica was caught off guard. She stuttered, trying to find the right words to say to him.
"Uh... uh, yeah well I guess I missed it." She said.
The two stayed silent for another long period of time.
"So what the hell do you want?" Dipper got up. Pacifica stood quietly.
"You've already ruined my life, what else could you possibly want from me?"
"Dipper, I-"
"Oh wait, you're a Northwest. Unless there's a dead president on the front, I guess it doesn't concern you."
"You don't understand-"
"Just leave me alone, you've already used all the money out of me, so just-"
"That's a lie!" Pacifica shouted.
Dipper fell silent. "What?"
"Preston... my father, he told you that I only loved you for the financial gain. I don't. Okay. Don't say that! Why the hell would you think that? You promised... you promised me Dipper." She started to cry. "Be...because it's *sniff* it's nothing more than a lie. Please, Dipper, I'm sorry."
Dipper's stare turned to a glare. He was in shock from what she said.
Dipper's inner dialogue began to battle.

She's lying.
No she can't be, its Pacifica.
Yeah, exactly. She's a Northwest.
But she loves me.
She loves money and power. She'll do anything to get that back.
But that was Preston.
Was he using her or working with her.
But she...
She is a Northwest. She's using you now.
But I've lost everything.
Because of her.
Then why would she come back?
...
She would never let me down.

Dipper snapped out of it.
He looked up. Pacifica was on the ground sobbing into the snow.
He walked over and knelt down in front of her. Dipper placed his hand on her shoulder. She looked up.
"D-dipper..."
He hugged her.
"Pacifica listen to me. I'm sorry okay. I was wrong about you, and I decided to make my own conclusions instead of pay attention to you. Even when I... I promised you I would. You're important to me. So please don't leave me." Dipper said.
They both stood up, continuing to hug each other. They stayed like that for a while . Both were all too reluctant to break away.
"Dipper. Marry me."
Dipper took a deep inhail. He was silent for a bit.
"Um, okay. Y-yes." Dipper laughed.
She smiled in disbelief.
"Really?"
"Really."
Their eyes met once more. They both leaned in, and kissed.
The loud falls where all but drowned out. The world almost stood still. The final glimmer of the red setting sun caught them.
They broke off.
"Dipper, let's go home." Pacifica suggested.
Dipper laughed. "You couldn't have suggested that earlier, it's freezing."
They both laughed.

"Yeah, let's go home."