The Queen's Great Loves

Daenerys

She had a gentle heart. Her late friend, Ser Jorah had said that once. There were times when Daenerys missed his presence as she missed Greyworm, Ser Barristan and of course her two dragons, her fiery children, Rhaegal and Viserion. She would never get over the loss, the same with Rhaego. Her children with Jon, how she loved them fiercely and would protect them with everything in her. 

Her precious little dragons as she called them. Her beloved princes and princesses brought so much joy in her life. Something she had never expected to have. Actual living children and a family and she was thankful for that everyday. Daenerys would rather die than lose another child and that was what she wanted when she was in labour with Rhaelle. She was sick with childbed fever and the Maester had said that her chances were slim but Rhaelle was alive, the baby sleeping soundly in her crib and Daenerys was fine with that. She could pass peacefully knowing that her child was alright but Jon wouldn’t let her go that easily of course.

Jon was overwrought. He couldn’t lose her. What would he do without her? Ten years together and they had become too used and too dependent on each other. She was his and he was hers… And nary a day gone by where they had been separated. 

Love of my life…. That was who Jon was to her. The only man who had ever broken her heart. The man she would love forever. 

Daenerys pulled through and recovered and Jon was grateful. He later decided to hold a Grand Tourney once she came out of confinement and he wasn’t one for spending money, being quite the penny pinching monarch. But it was a celebratory event and every noble House was invited. The month long competition proved to be a roaring success. It stimulated King’s Landing economy with crowded overflowing taverns, inns, and brothels and increased commerce and trade in the market squares. And it was held every two years thereafter.

Daenerys

“I do not wish to marry him…” Daenerys had said to Tyrion when they were in her guest chamber in Winterfell. 

“And he cannot force me! I am Queen. I don’t care if he is Rhaegar’s son. I do not want to be his wife!”

She was seething inside. Appalled at the nerve of Jon Snow or Aegon Targaryen or whatever his true name was. How dare he?? To think he had the nerve to tell the Queen, that he would drag her kicking and screaming into the godswood to be married. Of course Jon would be emboldened now. He is in Winterfell, the North where he was crowned King, chosen by the gruff Northern Lords to be their leader. Daenerys has no power here. She noticed the way the Northerners look at her. With suspicion and disdain. To them she was a Targaryen foreigner. An unwelcomed invader whose father was the cruel Mad King who had burned their beloved Lord Rickard and killed his son and heir Brandon.

“Do you love him?” Tyrion suddenly asked her after she had calmed down. 

“What does it matter? He doesn’t give a fuck about me…” Daenerys cried in anger and Tyrion was slightly shocked that she had cussed. A queen cussing wasn’t all that proper.

“Your Grace, marriage isn’t about love. A royal marriage between you and your nephew…”

Daenerys groaned when she heard that. She felt like her nausea was acting up again. Morning sickness is horrible. Worse still, when you’re stuck in a frozen castle with an army of dead soldiers marching towards you.

“It is what it is….” Tyrion said and gave a nod.

She kept quiet and allowed Tyrion to continue. 

“A marriage between you and Jon Snow…”

“Targaryen you mean…” Daenerys interrupted.

“A marriage between the both of you will bring stability to the realm. He doesn’t have to give up his title as King in the North and you will have a worthy consort. Your child will be trueborn and have a father.” Tyrion said and looked at her. 

“It’s a win-win and you’re both Targaryens so trust me when I say that the realm has seen far worse pairings. My sister and Robert Baratheon for example…“

“Do you think he means to take my throne?” Daenerys asked her Hand. 

It had been bothering her ever since she knew that Jon was actually a trueborn son of Rhaegar. Jon would actually have a real claim, more so than hers. Right of primogeniture was the law of the land and male heirs would always have a stronger claim. But what’s the point really? With the Great War to come. Maybe Ser Davos had been right all along. It doesn’t matter whose skeleton sits on the Iron Throne.

“No. That’s not the kind of man Jon is.” Her Hand sighed and looked gently at her. “And he loves you. You must know this. He just needs some time, this is all new to him.”

What about me? She wanted to ask but didn’t. Daenerys finally reluctantly agreed to marry Jon. For the child, she had to keep to telling herself. For the realm and the stability of the kingdoms, for a military alliance, for House Targaryen. 

Excuses she had made up circling in her mind the entire time they were dressing her for the wedding. But why not for love? A small, hopeful voice inside her asked. Love? Does Jon even love me anymore?

How odd it is to marry a man whom you love and yet do so reluctantly?