Chapter III: Freedom

I have on my best clothes for church, my only pair of jeans and a nice blazer with a white shirt underneath it. I head down the hall and see my family all eating at the table in their nicest clothes. I sit down at the table and grab some food.

"How was training the new employee?" My mum asked me.

"Good," I said with a smile as memories from the day before flicker through my mind.

"Is it okay if I go to the beach with a friend after church?" I ask her.

"Yeah, is it Niall?" I shake my head as I take a bite of my food.

"Louis," I say as her eyes widen a little bit.

"The new employee?" I nod my head and Gemma sends me a smile.

"I like that kid, he's really nice. Not to mention he's rather hot," Gemma remarks.

"Hey!" her boyfriend says as he eyes her.

"You're hotter." He smiles and pecks her lips. I want a love like they have, fun and playful yet sweet and fond at the same time. My dad comes in the room and grabs the keys from the counter.

"We should get going, we'll see you two there," my dad says. My mum and I follow him out, getting into the car. We go to church every sunday, almost everyone in this town is catholic or some other sort of christian. My family is catholic, I've always been a firm believer in God, though I don't read the bible often. I wear a cross necklace around my neck, which I never take off. We arrive at the church which is quite packed. The town is so small, there's only one church. The church is just like any other, a medium size building with a big cross in the front of the roof. I step out of the car, it is rather cold today but then again cold here is warm anywhere else.

We walk inside and my mum talks to a few of her friends before the service starts. My dad and I go over to get Coffee. We order the coffee and stand by waiting for them to make it.

"You plan on moving out of the house soon?" my dad asks me.

"Yeah, I've actually been looking at houses but I've had trouble finding an affordable home close by the bakery," I told him. A lady hands us our coffees and we go towards the service room.

"You can stay in our home as long as you want, it'll be quite lonely once Gemma finds a house," he chuckled as he took a sip of his coffee.

"I can't live with you guys forever, y'know," I said with a smile.

"I know, we'd get tired of you anyway," he jokes.

I elbowed him and we smiled at each other. I've always had a good relationship with my dad, with my whole family actually. My mum joins us and we go into the main room where the service is held. The room is rather large with benches organized in rows all around the room. In the front of the room is a small stage, a mural of Jesus hangs by the stage. We sit towards the front. Gemma and Nick arrive a few minutes later and take their seats. Pastor Tomlinson starts the service and says a few verses, relating it to our everyday life. I tune out for the first minutes, I'm rather tired from the night before. He then goes into something that he has been talking about a lot lately.

"The bible says, "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it [is] abomination." God states that Homosexuality is a sin. One of the worst sins of mankind. God made man and women so that every man would fall in love with a women not for men to fall for men."

All my life I've been taught that loving a man is wrong. I've never questioned it cause its all I've ever known about the topic. That's all my parents would tell me about it. It wasn't until I was fourteen that I learned exactly what being gay was. I still didn't really understand it, and I still don't really understand it today. All I know is that its a sin and in our country its punished up to death. I've never really given much thought into it, cause well it never concerned me as self-centered as that sounds.