A Rollarcoaster Ride (Chapter One)

Her heart was beating and threatening to jump out of her chest just as Thalia was waiting in line. The roller-coaster she was waiting in line for was enough to make anyone afraid- standing at over 300 feet high with an eighty degree drop and going as fast as 150 miles per hour.

It was called The Leviathan, Canada's Wonderland greatest attraction- Canada’s Wonderland being one of Toronto's greatest attraction. The ride was one of the tallest one in the world and also happened to be so popular it included waits of at least two hours.

"Is this ride even worth a three hour wait? I mean, come on Jill-"

"NO! Thalia you literally haven't step foot out of your house in a week, you need to live a little! I promise I'll hold your hand if it makes you feel better..."

Her accusation wasn't far off- considering Thalia had stayed within her property for the past week. Since she was home schooled, and only had one friend (Jill)- there wasn't much reason to go out. It also helped that her rich parents could pay for anything that she needed to come to her- like her tutor and anything else she wanted.

Jill was the one that had convinced Thalia to go out for the day, along with her boyfriend, Chad. Over the whole time they'd be at the amusement park, from The Bat to Top Gun to just lunch- Thalia had pretty much been the third wheel.

Speaking of which, Jill went right back to being gushy with her boyfriend as Thalia sighed and hoisted herself up on the railings to try and calm herself through the long wait.

The next two and a half hours were uneventful, filled mainly with Thalia playing with her thick hair as her friend and her boyfriend played on their phones and chatted. Since Thalia didn't own a cellphone the best she could do was stare at the ride as it went down the drops over and over and over again.

She didn't own a cellphone because she had given them up a little more than a year ago. Cellphones, as well as TV and social networking in general.

The answer to why was simple enough- up until she turned sixteen she was a gossiping, partying, full out bitch. Her school grades were horrible, and she got drunk more than she did anything else.

When she did turn sixteen an extreme and life changing intervention with her similar friends and whole family made her want to change. Only Jill was willing to change with her, and all of her other friends- including her boyfriend of three years turned their backs on her. Not Jill though, just her.

Thalia was also the only one out of the two that was severely bullied until she got to the point of finally giving up TV, Internet, social networking and media- as well as anything to do with celebrities and petty world news.

It may have seemed drastic at the time- but Thalia didn't regret a thing and was a much better person because of it.

Back to the long wait in line- the most exciting thing was still when Thalia nearly fell backwards off the railing and was actually caught by her ankles by Jill and her knee by another one of the teens waiting in line.

"That scared the shit out of me..." She mumbled to herself as she stood up and shuffled away from the bar, going to smile gratefully at the person behind her who'd caught her. But had had turned away already and had a large hood covering his face as he bent over his cellphone.

Rolling her eyes at Jill, she was soon surprised again as her friend suddenly shot out an arm and shrieked. It made Thalia flinched, and her first instinct was to get her wrist loose but Jill's grip was tight.

"We're next! Hurry, get on the ride before you change your mind!" She shouted in a dramatic voice, dragging her friend into the roller-coaster with the other hand on her boyfriend’s shoulder. A little too late did Thalia notice it was four across, and soon enough the boy who'd saved her from falling earlier had sat down beside her- still wearing his hood over his face.