Up All Night (Chapter Seven)

The thud of Thalia punching her bedroom wall echoed through her house, as well as the frustrated scream she let out.

Why was life so unfair?

"Thalia? What are you doing?!" An angry voice called downstairs, causing Thalia to freeze and slowly shuffle to her doorway with a frown.

"Sorry mum, just a bad day." She answered quietly, though her mother seemed to understand and only shouted back for her to stop attacking the walls and be quiet. Apparently Brena was practicing the flute and needed silence.

Blinking quickly to keep back angry tears she willed herself to slowly close the door- taking every bit of her willpower to not slam her door.

Taking a shaky breath Thalia made her way to her bed with trembling hands, which soon enough were curling tightly around her pillow, holding it steady as she shoved her face in it.

Ultimately she was upset with her sister and that crowd. Throughout the week after the library confrontation- she hadn't seen Jill, and had been haunted over Arden's words. She didn't know his phone number, but she wish she did so she could call and make sure he was OK.

It didn't help when she'd went to just pick up grocery's and ended up coming back

She really doubted anyone would come up to check on her- so she flinched as a knock on her door echoed through the room. Scrambling to answer the door and rubbing at her eyes at the same time. She ended up stumbling and nearly breaking her ankle before she opened the door, clutching the doorknob tightly.

Behind her door was a awkward looking maid, who held the cordless phone in her hand.

"I have a call for you Miss Eldridge."

"Couldn't you call me Thalia?" She asked for the millionth time before reaching out to take the phone from her.

"Oh, well that isn't exactly proper, Miss Eld- I mean Thal- I don't even know anymore!" She cried out in annoyance, making Thalia laugh for the first time in a week. The way they acted was different around Thalia than the rest of her family- as it would probably get them fired.

Being proper and dignified was just something that seemed to be idolized in the Eldridge home.

Along with impossible perfection, and social superiority.

Thalia just didn't care about them anymore.

Noticing she was just staring into blank space, Thalia hastily put the phone to her ear.

"Hello, this is Thalia Eldridge." She said uncertainly, only then wondering who on Earth would call her.

"Hey." A familiarly dark voice rang out through the phone, and immediately Thalia frowned.

"Arden?"

"Yes."

"Why are you calling me- Wait, no- I don't mean to be mean. And, I'm so sorry for not being able to talk to you, but I couldn't find a number, and, uh, are you ok? After what happened at the library-"

"As far as you and anyone else should be concerned I am fine. Some people know how to make it so bruises do not show, others wouldn't want to show them if they were visible."

Even though she'd known Arden for just less than a month, and had only spoken to him during that one day at the library, she found it was just like him to be so soulful over something so serious.

"Arden, do me a favour and just shut up. Or better yet, open your mouth to someone who can help you."

"Did you ever think maybe that was why I called you?"