The Inner Voice (Chapter Five)

"You know, in these sorts of moments your so lucky you are home schooled. Look at all this homework!"

Gesturing to her big pile of books and paper in a way that almost sent it off the table, Jill explained her frustration to Thalia. She had dragged her home schooled friend to the library to help her with her homework, saying that it was just a calm place she could go without having to worry about people. Her mother had overheard and interfered and made her go- saying she couldn't get back in her hermit mode.

Thalia didn't argue because first, when you argued with mother your life became horrible at home. Secondly, she had overheard her mother talking with her dad about just sending her off to university early. They could buy her way in if she couldn't get in by herself.

Either way they were just trying to get rid of her.

"Yeah, well I had at least double that for most of this year. Technically, I graduated high school a month ago." Thalia said, trying to make her friend feel better as she started writing again- every once in a while trying to get Thalia to help her.

"You graduated high school a year early! Couldn't you just help me a little bit with this question? I'm pretty sure it's a trick question anyway."

"The answers 24. Now shut up and get back to work- I'm going to go see about that writing contest."

With that Thalia stood up with a smirk, waving mockingly to her friend as she strode across the library to a station where they were explaining the yearly summer writing contest. School was only two weeks until summer break- so they were just looking for contestants.

Thalia had competed last year- and her piece was by far the best with all of her recent harassment related experiences summed up in less than 2500 words. But she was robbed, first place going to a biblical story.

Stoney Creek was not just filled with extremely shallow people, but also it's fair share of crazy Christians. The top society and country clubs would have nothing to do with other religions or types of people.

It was insane, and included the teenagers- which made the whole holy thing very ironic.

"So you have the choice of writing either a short story or poem- sorry, and or. You can write both types and submit both if you'd like." The librarian was explaining in a nervous voice- even though the group that was participating wasn't exactly the most threatening looking of all teenagers.

She went on to explain some exact rules

"I'm writing poetry- what are you in for?"

Glancing up Thalia noticed a tall darkly dressed and overall emo looking boy standing next to her. He had eyeliner on, and you could see his tattoos all over his thick arms.

"I write a bit- though I'm not the most passionate around literature." Thalia responded with a polite smile. Putting out her hand she introduced herself. "Hello, my name's Thalia- Uh, yeah. Thalia Eldridge."

Her voice faltered half-way through as she remembered even if this boy didn't look like the normal crowd to dislike her- she shouldn't be one to underestimate someone. His arms were also folded across his chest and unmoving- his gaze looking bored.

"I know. My name is Arden. I used to take history with you, and I'm your closet neighbour also." He answered without hesitating, still looking bored but not making any move to escape the conversation.

Thalia smiled with furrowed eyebrows, acting as if he wasn't the least bit creepy as she wracked her mind for his name.

Arden, Arden, Arden...