Chapter 5: Screen Tests

February 6, 2017
Marvel Studios, Burbank

At precisely 9am, Daniel was waiting outside of the hotel to pick up me and my mom to take us to Marvel Studios. He stood beside the passenger door with his hands crossed in front of him and a small smile in his face.

"Good morning, Mrs. and Miss. Donnelly," he greeted us.

"You can call us Elizabeth and Mary-Ellen, Daniel," my mom said.

"Shall we get going?" He said as he opened the door for us.

We both climbed into the back and he shut the door behind me. He got into the driver's seat and started to drive us to the Studios. The closer we got, the more nervous I got. I couldn't sleep last night and now I was exhausted. Bad thoughts kept going through my head about the screen test. What if I mess it up? What if I'm not what they're looking for? What if I'm not good enough?

My mom leans over and rubs my shoulder.

"Are you nervous, darling?" She asked.

I nodded. "Yeah, I am. I really want this, mom. I don't want to screw it up."

"You won't, you'll be fine," she reassured me. "You can do this."

I took a deep breath and looked out the window to distract myself. Twenty minutes of driving and we got to The Walt Disney Company.

Daniel stopped at the security kiosk and showed his ID to the security guard

Daniel stopped at the security kiosk and showed his ID to the security guard. Once he was cleared, the car drove through the small town of the company until we reached Marvel Studios. I was hyperventilating at this point. My future was literally in front of me and I couldn't handle it. I took a few deep breaths and got out of the car.

I took in the building in front of me for a few seconds before Daniel escorted us to the reception area. The air conditioning was a relief from the hot temperatures. For February, California was blistering for my pasty British skin.

"Mary-Ellen Donnelly to see Sarah Finn," Daniel told the receptionist.

"Yep, you can go straight through," she said. "Third door on the left."

"This is where I leave you guys," Daniel said. "Good luck with the audition, Mary-Ellen."

"Thank you, Daniel," I said.

He left us in the reception area and went back to the car. I turned towards the corridor. This was it. My future was on the third door on the left. I was stood frozen on the spot for so long that my mom had to pull me forward. We slowly approached the door with 'Sarah Finn' on a plaque. My mom knocked on the door for me, knowing I wasn't capable of knocking myself. A voice in the inside allowed us to enter.

I walked into the room first. My eyes remained firmly locked on the floor and the only thing I made eye contact with was five pairs of shoes. I couldn't look up. My head physically wouldn't move and I didn't really want to. I was perfectly happy watching the shoes twitch with slight movements. A familiar voice pulled me out of my staring contest with the floor.