Chapter 26: Birthday Bash - Take 2

June 11, 2017
Madrid, Spain

Celebrating your birthday in the glorious Spanish sun, eating pancakes and croissants on the terrace of the royal suite wearing a tiara with my name on it. This was definitely the way to spend your 17th birthday.

My parents and I decided to spend a few extra days in the sun before we started the Spider-Man Homecoming press tour in three days.  Before the real work began, I was celebrating my birthday in style surrounded by my loved ones. I shoved the last piece of croissant in my mouth and wiped my hands on the serviette.

"So, what's on the agenda today?" Mom asked.

"Not sure. I suppose we could go walking or shopping," I shrugged.

"Is there nothing in particularly you want to do?" She asked again.

I shook my head as I sipped my tea again. Dad put his newspaper down and chuckled at me.

"Sounds easy enough. We'll go for a walk then," he said.

Mom stood up from her chair and walked into her room. She emerged a few minutes later with an armful of presents and a smirk on her face. I smiled at the sight of her trying to juggle the presents and chuckled embarrassedly.

"Mom, you didn't need to get so many presents," I scorned her.

"Well, if I can't spoil my only child, who can I spoil?" She said, handing me the presents.

The present opening hour was over. I was so pleased with all of my gifts. My mom really did know what to do buy me. She even pulled out hundreds of balloons from the cupboard and now the whole suite was covered in balloons. Literally, you can't walk anywhere without getting smashed in the face with a balloon.

I was fixing my new Polaroid camera and trying to figure out how it worked when a knock sounded from the door. Mom rushed to the door and opened it slightly, just enough to poke her head around the doorway to see who was there. She was speaking to the person in a quiet tone which made me suspicious.

"Dad, who's she talking to?" I asked him.

He shrugged and glanced at the door. "I don't know. I can't hear them."

I carefully watched the door for activity. Eventually, Mom moved out of the doorway and pulled the door wide open. Someone was holding a large bouquet of flowers with at least ten balloons attached to their left wrist and an enormous present teetering dangerously in his right arm. I cocked my head to the side in confusion.

"Who's that?" I questioned out loud.

"It's your favourite person," the voice behind the flowers said.

Immediately I recognised the south-east London accent and my face broke into a wide smile. I giggled like a schoolgirl and bounced out of my chair. I grabbed the flowers out of his hand and his face was revealed.

"Thomas Stanley Holland, you never cease to amaze me," I laughed.

Tom grinned and pulled my waist towards him. He pecked me on the cheek and wrapped his left arm around me in a hug.

"I told you I'd get you back for my birthday," he joked.

We pulled away from each other and he stroked my cheek affectionately.

"Happy birthday, darling," his raspy voice said.

"Thank you." I leaned forward and lightly kissed his lips. I didn't want heavy PDA in front of my parents and neither did Tom.

I glanced down at the present still weighing heavily in his one arm. I scoffed and folded my arms.

"I got too many presents for your birthday and you got me a mountain for my birthday," I said.