Chapter 28: Pink Dresses and Prince Charming

June 28, 2017
TCL Chinese Theater, Hollywood, California

My palms were swimming in sweat, and it wasn't from the heat. I've experienced everything an actress should go through on her first press tour. The agonisingly long interviews, the countless appearances, the constant jaw-aching smiles, the exasperating jet lag from changing time zones, the flashing cameras shoved in my face and the hoard of Marvel fangirls and boys following me. Now, I was about to undergo the last stage of stardom. The red carpet.

Tonight was the world premiere of Spider-Man Homecoming. After months of hard work and grafting, we were about to show our masterpiece to the world. And I was terrified. What if they don't like it? What if they don't like me? Am I gonna fit in with everyone else? Are they gonna be impressed? All these thoughts wizzing through my head was the cause of my sweaty palms.

"Have you got everything? You didn't forget anything?" Mom asked from her seat in my left.

"No, I got everything," I replied.

She leaned over and rubbed my arm.

"It'll be fine. Don't panic," she comforted me.

"I know, I know," I took a few deep breaths. "Tom said the same thing."

"At least you'll have him to hold your hand," Mom winked at me suggestively.

I huffed and shook my head.

"Mom, we've been over this. No-one knows about us so we can't act like a couple. I want to tell people when the time is right and not be forced to admit it," I told her.

"I know, I understand, but he can still be there as a friend," she said.

"Males and females can't be friends in Hollywood without fucking each other," I said.

"I suppose you're right," she agreed.

As we got closer, the buzz outside the car became overwhelming. The crowds increased in size on both sides of the road. Some of the fans recognised me in the car and started screaming. The noise got louder and louder as the car pulled up in front of the carpet. I huffed and straightened the bodice of my dress to ensure I wasn't flashing too much for the cameras. Mom squeezed my hand reassuringly and winked.

"Ready?"

"Ready."

Daniel, our driver, got out of the car and placed his hand on the handle of my door. He opened it and offered me his hand. I took it gratefully and swung my legs to the side. For once in my life, I managed to gracefully get out of the car to be greeted with eardrum-blowing screeches from the hundreds of fans behind the barriers. Strangely, their yells of admiration put me at ease and I smiled deliriously. I waved at the fans in front of me and they screamed even louder. I made my way around the car and took my mom's arm as we walked onto the red carpet.

One of the workers directed me to the left side of the barrier and I signed autographs on posters, books, cards and bodily parts (arms and cheeks, this is a PG fanfic). I couldn't stop grinning at the kind and loving compliments they were giving me. They told me my dress was gorgeous, I was pretty, how elated they were to see me in the film. I took a few selfies and the fans even asked if my mom wanted to get in the pictures. She was reluctant but I persuaded her to join in. They loved my mom and were asking her questions about me and the film. I finished the last of the autographs before I was directed towards the press pen.

The press pen was every actor and actress' worse nightmare. It resembled a zoo of wild animals prowling for their prey. Cameras were relentlessly flashing at your face and the reporters were shouting commands to tell where to stand, how to stand, where to look, how to pose. The pen was currently unoccupied so the reporters immediately spotted me approaching. The shouting commands quickly came thick and fast and they were already snapping my picture before I had the chance to pose.