Chapter 6: My Big Break

March 4, 2016
Mary-Ellen's House

Friday is usually the best day of the week. The end of the working and school week is a joy for everyone. But, to me, it meant it had been almost a month since my audition. And I still hadn't heard back from Marvel.

It's fair to say I was pretty devastated at this point. I was looking forward to starting a new chapter in my life and now all of that had come crashing down. It hit me hard coming back to the reality of facing school and looming GCSEs. The only thing that kept me going was the audition. But now I knew there was no hope.

Since that day, I've been talking to Jacob quite regularly. We got each other's numbers before we left California. He is such a funny guy, he knows how to cheer me up when I'm feeling down. I learnt that he too hadn't heard back from Marvel so at least I wasn't alone on that front. His mom even invited us to Hawaii to stay with them for a week in the near future. Maybe life isn't so bad.

At 10pm, I was in bed watching SpongeBob (a classic to cheer anyone up) when my phone went off. Thinking it was Jacob, I glanced over at my beside cabinet to look at the caller ID.

Sarah Finn

OH, SHIT!

I dived for the phone but underestimated the amount of room I had on the bed and rolled onto the floor. Ignoring the pain in my side, I swiped the phone off the cabinet and accepted the call.

"Hello?" I said with a slightly strained voice.

"Hello, Mary-Ellen? Are you alright?" Sarah's voice filled the phone.

I scrambled to my feet. "Yep, yeah! I'm fine!"

"Good because I have some excited news," I could hear the delight in her voice when she said that.

"Oh right?"

"Jon and I have had many long conversations about your audition," she started. "We've discussed it with Robert and Tom, and we've decided that you're perfect for the role. We want to cast you in the new Spider-Man movie."

I choked on air and started hacking like an old witch. God, this woman must think I'm a mess.

"Mary-Ellen? Are you sure you're ok?"

I got my breath back and nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine. You just took me by surprise."

Sarah laughed. "I take it that you're accepting the role?"

"Oh yes! Yes! I am!" I yelled excitedly. "Thank you so much! You won't regret this, I promise you!"

"Alright! It's a deal. I'll email you the details of filming dates and locations. And your mom is still your legal guardian?" She asked.

"Yes, she is."

"Great. Perfect," there was a brief silence on the end of the phone before Sarah continued. "I'll see you in a couple of months. Congratulations, Mary-Ellen."

"Thank you, Sarah," I said, my voice cracking a little with emotion. "You have no idea how much this means to me."

"You deserve it, you're a natural in front of the camera," she complimented.

"Thank you. God, I'm saying thank you too much."

She giggled. "It's alright, other people have said worse. I'll see you soon, Mary-Ellen." She hung up the phone soon after.

Oh my god. I got it! I'm gonna be a actress! In a movie! In a Marvel movie, the greatest superhero movies of all time. In a... wait, Spider-Man?

"MOM! I'M GOING TO HOLLYWOOD!"

————

My first reaction after telling my mom was to tell my friends. They were probably sick and tired on me moping around school so they'll be relieved I have something happy to tell them. I get on Snapchat and sent a message: