Chapter 8: Prom Date - Part 1

July 5, 2016
Trailer Park, Atlanta

I was in my trailer sprawled out on the sofa with my hair and makeup done but I was still dressed in my joggers and t-shirt. They didn't need me on set for another hour so I was relaxing.

We'd been filming for just over two weeks now and I was surprised at how quickly I'd fallen into a routine. Don't get me wrong, I was still a nervous wreck when it came to the actual filming, but everything else came naturally to me. I'd become good friends with Laura and gotten even closer with Jacob. That friendship did surprise me.

Then, there was Tom. He was a gorgeous specimen and he was so kind to me whoever we talked. But, me being an awkward 16-year-old, I found it difficult to make conversation with him. Most of the time, he asked me questions and I answered them but I was too scared to ask him anything. Boys don't normally command my attention so I had no idea how to talk to a handsome boy. Well, man. He was 20.

My mom came through the trailer door with a white dress bag. I recognised it as soon as she brought it in.

"Is that the dress?" I asked excitedly.

"Yes, it just came from Kidderminster," my mom said.

I sprung up from the sofa and went into the bedroom area. She hug the bag over the doorframe and unzipped it.

Inside the bag was my Year 11 prom dress. It was royal blue with silver beading on the bodice, sleeve and neckline. The scooping neckline showed off a small part of my neck and the straps showed off my tanned (or rather sunburnt) shoulders.

 The scooping neckline showed off a small part of my neck and the straps showed off my tanned (or rather sunburnt) shoulders

I gasped in awe. "Wow! It looks amazing!"

"Doesn't it?" My mom smiled at me. "Do you wanna try it on one last time?"

I nodded eagerly and reached for the dress. I pulled it gently off the hanger and brought it into the bedroom. I shut the door and flung the dress on the bed. Shimming out of my joggers and t-shirt, I stepped into the dress and pulled it over my shoulders. Reaching around I zipped up the back of the dress and fixed myself. I stood in front of the mirror and looked at myself.

In the last ten months, I went through a serious weight loss regime. I was 15 stone and severely overweight. Before I started filming, I had lost 5 stone and managed to keep a healthy weight at 10 and 1/2 stone. My body looked so much better and healthier. My curves were in the right place and I felt more comfortable in my skin. This dress was flaunting my newly shaped hourglass figure.

I opened the door and walked out into the open to get my mom's opinion.

"Mom? What do you think?" I raised my voice as I picked up the skirts and picked them up to walk.

I was preoccupied with the skirt and didn't look up until I heard a gasp.

My eyes locked with Tom's as I looked up. He was mid-drinking from a bottle of water and he stopped before the bottle touched his lips. His wide eyes pierced through me and he looked me up and down in shock.

My mouth was open in shock, as well. I didn't hear him come in! What the fuck, mom! His friend Harrison was sat next to him and he looked very amused at his friend's reaction to me in a prom dress. He smirked at Tom and gave him a subtle nudge to remove him from his trance.

"What do you think, boys?" My mom appeared from the kitchen with a cheeky grin. Oh, mother, you're getting an earful later.

"You look amazing, Ellen," Harrison answered. He looked over at Tom with his shit-eating smirk. "Doesn't she, Tom?"

Tom closed his mouth and gulped. "Erm, yeah, yeah you do, look great. Beautiful, actually."

The corners of my mouth curved into a small smile. Tom thought I was beautiful. A male has never called me beautiful before. Apart from my dad. I did a little twirl to show them the dress.

"I can't wait. I'm buzzing for tomorrow, it's gonna be great," I chuckled.

"What time is your flight?" Harrison asked.

"6:50 this evening," I said.

"Oh, that reminds me," my mom spoke up. "Have you texted Charlotte yet? Does she know what the plan is tomorrow."

"Yeah, she's coming over to the house at 5 and then we'll go to the hotel at 6."

"Do you have dates?" Tom interrupted.

What? Where did that come from? I could see Tom fidgeting a little bit and he looked a little nervous about the answer. Thinking about lying to him, I decided against it and shook my head.

"No it's just me and Charlotte," I admitted.

"Oh, right," Tom breathed a sigh of relief and looked visibly relaxed. Was he relieved that I didn't have a date?

"Why don't we be your dates?" Harrison asked, gesturing to Tom.

Both mine and Tom's eyes widen in shock and my mouth fell open. Twice in five minutes. You're gonna catch flies, Ellen. I looked between a desperate Tom, a confused Harrison and my amused mother. What was Harrison doing? Why was he asking to be our prom dates? I thought I was dreaming until my mom broke the silence.

"You'd love that, wouldn't you, Ellen?" she said. "And I'm sure Charlotte would be grateful for the male company."

I shook my head slightly at my mom to get her to stop talking but Harrison stood up and rubbed his hands together.

"Mrs. Donnelly, that's an excellent idea," he said with a smirk mimicking my mom's. "We should get packing if we're going on that plane with you."

Tom took a few moments to get to his feet, still bewildered and dazed with what just transpired. Harrison opened the door and left the trailer. Tom followed him but he stopped at the door. He turned to me and nodded.

"I'll see you later, Ellen." And he shut the door behind him.

I slowly turned to my mom, still fucking grinning, and gestures my arms wildly.

"WHAT THE FU-"