Chapter Two: The Interview

Willow quickly tried to correct her blunt introduction, "I-I mean-" but Mr. Burns cut her off before she could continue.

"Being my assistant isn't a walk in the park," he clipped.

What a patronizing asshole, Willow thinks to herself. 

Her look must have given her away because Mr. Burns smirks.

"I may be an asshole Ms. Pearson, but I'm an efficient one."

She gaped up at him, "I didn't- I wasn't thinking th-"

Mr. Burns went on, "This job is multifaceted. You'll be in charge of maintaining and organizing my appointments and meetings, completing background research for my projects, screening and handling my personal calls and emails, arranging travel plans, taking detailed meeting notes, and whatever else I might ask of you. Obviously, you'll be coordinating with my secretary, but you'll have your work cut out for you. Do you think you're up for it?"

Willow squared her shoulders and met his steady gaze, "Yes sir."

"And most importantly," Mr. Burns began, as he moved toward Willow. 

He leaned over as he placed his hands on her chair's armrests. He had her trapped. She could smell his expensive cologne, the fabric of his jacket tickled her legs, and her heart began to hammer in her chest. 

"Don't flirt with me."

Willow was caught off guard, whatever she was expecting him to say, it wasn't that.

Willow scoffed, surprising Mr. Burns. 

"Sir with all due respect, I have $30,000 worth of student loans to pay off. The last thing on my mind is messing around with a potential employer."

Unexpectedly, Mr. Burns gave a loud laugh. 

"Ms. Pearson, how soon can you start?" he asked as he stepped away from her chair.

She was stunned into silence for a moment. She thought this interview was sure to end in disaster.

He raised an eyebrow at her inquiringly. "I can start tomorrow, sir," she said quickly.

"Good, Adam will see to it that your badge and paperwork are squared away."

Willow stood up and extended her hand, "Thank you sir."

He shook her proffered hand; his grip was warm and solid. The skin-on-skin contact sent a shiver down Willow's spine.

Mr. Burns inhaled sharply and quickly released her hand.

"Adam will meet you at the front desk now," he announced, walking out of the room.

When he was gone Willow gave a sigh, this job was going to be a lot tougher than she imagined.

------------------------------------------------

A/N:

Thanks to everyone who commented and voted on previous chapters. Hope y'all like this one too!