Chapter Six: Working Hard

Willow tried to ignore her racing heart and began researching. Woodville Industries was making headway in the communication industry; they were a fairly small company, but were rapidly growing. She also learned that Montague and Co. is looking into buying out Woodville Industries as well.

            Willow fell into the proverbial well of information, she emerged from her research hours later and checked the clock. She had ten minutes to present her findings! She printed and organized all her research and notes and handed it to Mr. Burns at 12 PM sharp.

            He flipped through it, appearing surprised. "This looks good," he quickly corrected himself, "but I'll have to read through it to be sure."

            "I hope it meets your standards," she answered neutrally.

            Mr. Burns set down the paperwork. "I'll need your help planning out our upcoming work trip, but I suppose you should take your lunch break first."

            Willow, wanting to please her new boss, replied, "I'm not hungry right now, I can help you arrange the travel itinerary immediately."

            Her stomach grumbled, giving her away instantly. Mr. Burns had to repress a smile.

"Go get lunch," he said, "you have an hour."

Embarrassed, Willow quickly left his office and took the elevator down to the lobby. She planned on getting a quick bite to eat at a nearby sandwich place, when a voice broke her train of thought.

"How's your first day of work going, Willow?"

She almost jumped out of her skin. Willow turned around to discover Jack Montague looking at her mischievously.

"Don't you have a company to run?" she asked.

"I'm taking a little break. Just wanted to stretch my legs a little."

She began walking out of the building, Jack following beside her.

"I don't believe I should be fraternizing with the enemy," she said half-jokingly.

Jack gave a laugh, "Ah yes, I suppose we're work enemies now."

"See?" Willow replied, as they passed through the lobby doors and onto the bustling sidewalk.

Jack stopped and Willow followed suit, "Well, now that we're outside of work, can we agree to be friends?"

Willow eyed him suspiciously, and Jack gave another laugh.

"I know I seem like a dubious character, especially given your new job, but I'd really like to get to know you better." Willow stared deeply into his bright blue eyes, he appeared to be genuine, but she knew she needed to keep her guard up.

"Maybe... I'm not too sure about you yet," she replied.

Jack smiled down at her, "That's the most honest answer I've gotten in a while, thank you."

Her mouth opened and closed, trying to find the words. "You know, I don't know how to answer some of your comments."

Jack was about to answer when his eyes widened in alarm, "Watch out!" he called to Willow.

----------------

A/N:

Hey y'all! Hope you enjoyed this chapter.

Update: Finals week is coming up for me, so I'll try to keep up with my update schedule, but things might be a little slower than usual.

Thanks for being patient! :)