Chapter Five - Unrequited Love

"Excuse me?" Willow snapped. She knew Mr. Burns had a way with words, but she had not expected Adam to be the same way.

            He kept his unflinching gaze on her. "I don't want to train another assistant who will only end up staying for a month. It's a waste of my time."

            Willow suddenly realized what Adam was getting at. She started to chuckle. Adam grit his teeth, "Do you think this is funny?"

            "You're so obvious," she stated.

            "What does that mean?"

            "You're clearly in love with your boss," Willow remarked.

            Adam's mouth opened in surprise, he turned red and began to stutter, "Th-that's not- I would never-"

            "Don't worry," Willow interrupted, "your secret's safe with me."

            "You can't prove anything," Adam said.

            "You're right," she said with a shrug, "I can't. I just want to get along with you, and I can tell you here and now, I'm not interested in dating the boss."

            Adam sighed and leaned against her desk. "That's what they all say when they start."

            "What's so great about this guy?" she asked him.

            "Ms. Pearson, Adam, are you done gossiping?" a voice growled from the doorway.

            Both jumped up, looking guilty.

            "Adam was just giving me a tour of the office," Willow quickly replied.

            Mr. Burns ignored her comment. "I need some basic research done on Woodville Industries. We're looking into buying them out," he stated sharply. "I want research with citations, notes, and analysis on my desk by noon."

            Mr. Burns walked out of the room closely followed by Adam. He gave her a grateful look before heading out.

            Willow sighed, cracked her knuckles, and fired up her office computer. She had a lot of work to do that morning. While waiting for her computer to power up, she considered Mr. Burns's behavior. How did everyone fall in love with an asshole like that?

            Before she could give it anymore thought, she sensed a figure looming over her. She nearly jumped out of her seat.

            Mr. Burns repressed a smile. "No need to be so skittish. I just wanted to give you your login information."

            He handed her a piece of paper, and their fingers touched. Again, the slight contact seemed to send a spark through her. She almost gasped.

            His piercing blue eyes seemed to look right through her. Her pulse began to race.

            Mr. Burns licked his lips before stepping back.

            "I want the research by noon today, Ms. Pearson," he stated, leaving the room.

            Willow leaned back in her seat, her heart still beating too quickly. She was starting to understand his appeal...

------------------

A/N:

There's some drama in this chapter! What did you guys think?

Please comment/vote if you have a moment! Thank you~