Chapter Thirty-Three: A Date

Adam looked at her intently, "I don't really care but I'll ask anyway, are you alright?"

Willow took a deep breath, "Can you come into my office Adam, I have something I want to talk to you about, in private."

Adam shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly but there was a glimmer of concern in his eyes as he followed Willow to her office. 

"Mr. Burns is still at his 5 o'clock meeting, correct?"

"Yep."

"I need you to keep him distracted," said Willow.

Adam's eyes widened. "Distracted? What do you mean?"

"Since Dubai, I've been trying to get company secrets from Jack Montague."

Adam whistled. "I hope you know what you're doing," he quipped.

"Not really, but I'm learning. The point is, Jack told me that he plans on bringing Burns Inc. down and he offered to take me to dinner tonight. 

"Ah, so you're going to use your sultry gaze to lure out his secrets," joked Adam.

Despite the pressure Willow laughed and playfully punched Adam's arm.

"Well, I'll try to anyway, but Mr. Burns can't know. I don't want to think that I'm betraying him."

Adam paused and looked deep into Willow's eyes. After a moment he sighed and rolled his eyes, "Alright, I'll try my best but I don't want to get in the middle of all this boy drama."

Willow smiled and gave Adam a quick hug, "Thanks Adam, you're the best."

Willow was just about to leave the office when Adam spoke up, "Be careful with Jack, Willow. He's a slippery one."

Willow turned back and gave him a nervous smile. I'll do my best.

***

Matthew Burns hung up the phone and stretched out his long, muscular arms. The meeting went on longer than intended and his head began to pound with an oncoming migraine. His PR team kept trying to push him to do more interviews and photoshoots. They wanted to advertise him as one of America's most eligible bachelors, but he was not interested in that. He had Willow now and he didn't need any other women pining over him. 

Willow. The thought of Willow made his headache dissipate. It wouldn't be long until he saw her again. In fact, he would get up and find her now. The thought of spending the evening with her made him feel a warmth he was not familiar with. He wanted to take her back to his place and feed her, and...

He stopped in his tracks. Something felt off. He couldn't feel her vibrant presence in the office. Everything felt dull and off without her there. 

Willow was no longer in the office. Where had she gone? Matthew checked his Rolex, it was just after six. Maybe she went back to her place to pick something up?

His heart raced as he called her cell. No answer. That was unusual.

Matthew looked over and saw Adam looking nervously at him.

"Adam, where's Willow?"

Adam began to fidget and didn't make eye contact with him. "Oh, she told me she needed to talk to -uh- Sheela in accounting."

Matthew strode over to Adam's work phone and punched in the number for the accounting department.

They picked up on the second ring. "Burns here. Is Miss Willow Pearson there?"

"No sir, she hasn't be down here today," came the answer from the other end of the line.

Well, shit, thought Adam.

Matthew's grip on the phone tightened and the plastic began to creak. He slammed the phone down.

"I don't want to have to ask again, Adam. Where is she?" his voice was dangerously low.

What did I get myself into?  thought Adam as he watched the muscles in Matthew's jaw clench.

"I have no idea sir," Adam lied. 

Mr. Burns banged his fist against Adam's desk. The desk (and Adam) jumped at the force of his fist. 

"Adam, where the hell is she?" Matthew growled.

Adam gulped. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

Sorry for the wait :( I don't have any good excuses but I appreciate the views and the support.