Romallo

Chapter 23

"YOU IDIOTS" Romallo shouts at the two of us "YOU DON'T NEED TO BREAK UP OVER THIS. JUST BECAUSE SHE DOESN'T WANT TO GET MARRIED DOESN'T MEAN THERES NO FUTURE FOR THE TWO OF YOU, JUST NO RING!"

He screams at us at the top of his lungs, the angriest I've ever seen him.

"What do you mean?" Germán ask puzzled

"I know you want to get married but could you be happy in a long term relationship without having an official ceremony?" Romallo asks him, staring him right in the eye

" I've never really thought about it but of course. I'd be happy as long as I have my family around me."

"Then there's no need to end things. Just because you have different ideas about marriage you shouldn't assume you can never be together."

Germán turns to me, "Is this what you want?"

"I'd love nothing more."

Romallo nods at us, knowing his work here is done and swiftly leaves.

"So you never want to get married?"

" I thought I did. I even talked to Vilu about it and decided that was what I wanted. But when I was stood in that dress I knew in my heart I couldn't be happy at our wedding. It would always feel too much like María's wedding. Like she should be there and I should be back in the pew, crying with happiness for the two of you. It would just be too similar."

"So I'm still fine with not getting married but I have an idea. What if we didn't do the traditional wedding? I don't know we could have a day in Disney and pop down to a court to get married. Then it could be OUR wedding. We could remember María but it would be different, yours."

I didn't know what to say. I'd never thought about that option before.