Chapter 15

When we arrived home, Lapis was still weak so I insisted on carrying her into the house. After a couple minutes of salty bickering she finally agreed to it. As we walked to the door, Steven opened it before we could even knock. "Guys! You're back! Lapis!!" Steven shouted excitedly, with stars practically in his eyes. "H-hey Steven..." Lapis muttered in a raspy voice, and Steven's excited expression dissipated. "Whoa...Lapis, you're all hurt! Hurry guys, come inside!" Steven urgently pushed all five of us in through the doorway.

I set Lapis down on the couch, and she groaned in pain. "Sorry, you okay?" I asked her quickly. She nodded with a pained expression on her face. Steven handed one of his t-shirts to her and gave her a blanket. I then felt two small arms wrap around my waist from behind, and I looked behind me and down. "Pumpkin!" I exclaimed, and turned around so I could give her a full on hug. "I missed you." she said, her voice muffled in my shirt. She then looked behind me and noticed Lapis laying on the couch, and she gasped. 

Pumpkin ran over to the bluenette and hugged her tightly. Lapis's eyes went wide probably from the pain, but she said nothing as she shakily hugged back. "Hey sweetheart. Was I gone long?" Lapis asked in a soft tone of voice. Pumpkin then nodded, followed by a small giggle from Lapis. "We need to find a way to get rid of Yellow Diamond's court once and for all." Garnet stated, and I looked at her in concern. "How?! We barely got out of there alive!" I said, throwing my arms up. "That's why we need a plan, genius." Pearl remarked, and I shot her a quick glare.

"Can't we just take a break for once, Garnet? We just got back from a building full of monster cannibals tryna maul us. Not to mention we were chased by like ten chicks with heavy guns." Amethyst complained, laying across the counter lazily on her stomach. Garnet sighed, and crossed her arms. "Fine. But we need to get that sooner than later." Garnet caved in. "Anyways, dude Peridot you were awesome back there!" Amethyst said, changing the subject. All of the Crystal gems agreed, and I felt a slight blush on my cheeks.

"You literally tore apart the barbed wire with your bare hands! Like holy shit dude! That takes guts and pure muscle." Amethyst added, smiling. "Not to mention you carried Lapis out of the building like some iconic movie." Garnet added with a half smile on her face. "O-oh, it was nothing, guys really..." I muttered, scratching the back of my neck. "I have to admit, Peridot. You showed some major potential out there." Pearl said, putting her hands on her hips. This was actually the first time they've been...really nice to me???

"Th-thanks guys..." I mumbled. "How do you feel?" Steven asked, looking as enthusiastic as ever. "Big." I replied, smiling. I looked back to see how Lapis was doing, and let out a chuckle at the sight. Lapis was fast asleep lightly snoring with Pumpkin asleep in her arms. "I can't imagine the pain she went through..." Garnet muttered, adjusting her glasses. "I know...she's gonna need some time to recover..." I replied, walking toward Lapis. "Hey babe...we're gonna head back to the barn." I said quietly, gently shaking Lapis. I hated having to wake her up considering how peaceful she looked, but I knew that she'd be much more comfortable back at our home.

. . . .

Pumpkin was asleep in the hammock downstairs, and Lapis and I sat on the bed upstairs. I made sure the front doors of the barn were closed and locked so no one would try and take her or anything. I had the stuff ready to clean Lapis's wounds and everything - it almost felt like a routine now, getting out the first aid stuff, since we're constantly getting hurt. Lapis slipped off the t-shirt Steven let her borrow, and she looked away with a pained expression. I took a moment to study all of her wounds, cuts, and bruises - my god they were deep. 

I brushed my fingers over the scratches, and she flinched a little. I began to clean the scars gently, making sure not to hurt Lapis too much. The gashes in her wrists were the most painful-looking, and I was extra gentle on those ones.  I then grabbed the bandages and firmly wrapped them around her wrists and ankles, making them secure. Lapis hissed in pain, and I startled myself. "Sorry! Sorry..." I whispered. 

I looked into Lapis's eyes and I saw that they were still bright red and puffy from crying. I gently kissed her on the lips and stroked her cheek, and Lapis just looked back at me with a sad look. "I knew we weren't safe...everything I was afraid that was gonna happen...has happened..." Lapis said with a shaky voice, and I noticed her body started trembling. I pulled Lapis into my lap and kissed her forehead. "I know...I'm so sorry this happened to you...but at least we're safe now, right?" I said, trying to reassure her. 

Lapis stared down at the bed sheets and shook her head. "I doubt it..." she muttered, and I just gave her a sympathetic look. What do I say? She's probably right. I then heard a sniffle that caught my attention, and Lapis was full on crying now. "Hey hey hey, d-don't cry. It's gonna be okay, alright? We have Pumpkin...we're safe here in the barn...no corruptions...it's gonna be okay..." I whispered in her ear hugging her. She had a death grip on me as I felt her whole body shake and shift every time she sniffled or sobbed.

"I know, Laz" I whispered, and she only gripped onto me tighter, now wrapping her legs around me. It was silent for a long time, with only Lapis's sniffles and quiet sobs here and there, and me patting and rubbing her bruised back. "Are you wearing my jacket?" Lapis finally asked, and I froze and felt heat rush to my cheeks. "I uh...uhm...heheheh" I stuttered and nervously giggled, earning a playful scoff from Lapis. "You're...such...a...dork..." she muttered as her voice got quieter and quieter. Lapis?!

"Lapis? Lapis?!" I asked, wondering if she lost consciousness on me. I was interrupted by her soft snores, and I realized that she just fell asleep. I huffed and sat there for like 20 minutes, thinking about what I should do. I finally decided to lean forward and set her down on the bed, but she wouldn't let go of me. "L-Lapis...y-you gotta let go..." I whispered, struggling. She then wrapped her legs around me again, and pulled me in closer with her arms. I fell over to the side, and now we were face-to-face, only Lapis being asleep. 

"sigh...Goodnight Lapis..."