Chapter 13

Veronica looked around the hall for Cheryl. She finally spotted her near the gym doors.
"Cheryl!" She waved to her.
"Hey V!" Cheryl hurried over to her.
"So I was thinking, it's Friday's night, Mani Pedis, maybe a chick flick, and then milkshakes at Pops?" Veronica proposed. Cheryl shifted uneasily.
"I'm actually busy tonight." Cheryl said as casually as she could.
"You were busy every night last week. Don't say it's another date with Toni." Veronica pouted. She closed her locker and set her binders on the floor.
"I promise I can be free tomorrow night." Cheryl swore. She started playing with her hair, a nervous habit.
"What are you doing tonight?" Veronica said, growing angry. How many times had she postponed their hangouts now? Ten times?
"It's a surprise date." Cheryl lied, a smile still on her face.
"You've always been a shitty liar, Cheryl." Veronica said, not smiling back. "I've told you everything ever. You are my best friend in the world but you can't tell me what you're doing tonight?" Cheryl paused. How would Veronica react? Probably like a typical northsider, maybe even tell her parents. No. She couldn't risk that.
"I'm so sorry that I've been spending all my time with Toni. I swear I will start being a better friend but I am busy tonight. We can  have an amazing day tomorrow." Cheryl pleaded. Veronica sighed. She was not in the mood to argue.
"Fine! Don't tell me. I'll see you tomorrow Cheryl. And you will not blow me off again." Veronica backed towards her class.
"Definitely!" Cheryl called after her.
"Hey!" Cheryl felt a slap on her shoulder and jumped. She turned to find Archie.
"Do no scare me like that!" She laughed. Archie smiled but immediately lost it as he started talking.
"So I talked to Betty last night. Apparently you have to know the laws, retrieve a knife from a snake pit, and do a serpent dance." Archie said, making sure no one was listening.
"Toni's been quizzing me on the laws but only hinted at the others." Cheryl made Archie hug her, with Jason gone she needed twice as many hugs from Archie.
"Can you do it?" He whispered.
"Of course."