Chapter 17

Cheryl was sitting in the Riverdale High library. She wore her serpent jacket with a simple red slip dress underneath. No one had gotten her in trouble for wearing her jacket, but the librarian had given her a less-than-friendly look. She was replaying her fight with Toni over and over in her head. She had been for the past hour. She couldn't figure out why Toni wouldn't want to introduce her to her parents. Did Toni think they would hate her? She had tried asking Jughead on their drive back to Thornhill, but since Toni was his best friend he refused to answer. A voice broke her from her thoughts.
"Mind if I sit?" Veronica was standing at the edge of her table. She wore her classic black cloak and a cherry red dress underneath. Something that surprised Cheryl. Cheryl rolled her eyes but still pulled the chair next to her out for Veronica. "I just want to say that I'm sorry."
"What?" Cheryl had been ready for some kind of slap on the wrist or rude comment but now she had no idea how to respond. Her first thought was, had she misjudged Veronica?
"I shouldn't have reacted that way and I should have been a better friend when everything happened with Jason but I wasn't. I understand why you became a serpent." Veronica's eyes glanced at Cheryl's red jacket. She sighed and forced the next words out. "It just hurt that you thought you had to lie about it."
"Thank you, Veronica." Cheryl could feel her eyes start to water.
"Oh Cheryl!" Veronica smiled and pulled her into a hug. They hugged in silence for what most people would have been an awkward amount of time to hug.
"I missed you so much V. And none of that was your fault. I shouldn't have lied to you for weeks. I was a horrible friend." Cheryl refused to let her go. Veronica pulled her chair closer to Cheryl.
"So how have you been?" Veronica asked.
"Me and Toni are fighting about meeting each other's parents." Cheryl threw her papers to the side in anger. Veronica nodded empathetically.
"Well, I cant help with that, but....I have an extra ticket to a quiet place if you want to get scared tonight." Veronica offered. Cheryl gave Veronica another hug. Veronica really did know her better than anyone.
"I would love to... and our traditional milkshakes at Pops after?" Cheryl gave her a small, mischievous smile. Veronica laughed and nodded.
"Sounds like the perfect night!" She declared. Cheryl gave her a thankful smile. The girls packed up there books and went to cheer practice, refusing to let go of each other's hand and Cheryl's fight completely out of mind.