Chapter Eight:

It had been a week since the kiss incident in the hotel and Kimberley and I hadn't spoken about it since. Best way really, to avoid any tension or awkwardness. I'm used to it with Sarah anyway, a soppy and affectionate drunk is nothing I haven't seen before so I wasn't really bothered by it.

Kimberley had been coming round more and more lately, she's such a good friend. I've known her for about a month now and Imogen loves her to pieces already. I'm constantly being hounded with questions of 'when is Kimberley coming round?' And 'is Kimberley coming today?'.

Kimberley came round nearly every day, the only time Imogen doesn't see her is when she is at her dads.

***

"Chez?"

"Kitchen!" I shout in reply as Kimberley let her herself in. I had given her the spare key so that she could come and go as she pleased, whether I was in or out.

I hear the front door shut and seconds later I'm greeted by Kimberley and a McDonalds.

"McDonalds for dinner?" Kimberley grinned, holding up the paper bags.

"Ooo, go on then. I'll shout Immie down now." I smile and exit the kitchen, leaving Kimberley to put the food out.

"Immie, Kimberley's here and she's brought McDonalds" I call up the stairs.

"Coming mummy" Immie yells as she reaches the top of the stairs and begins to walk down, step by step.

"Careful" I tell her as she nears the bottom. I pick her up and carry her into the kitchen and set her down on the chair by the table.

"Here you go angel" Kimberley smiles as she passes Immie a chicken nugget happy meal.

"What do you say, Immie?" I ask her

"Thank you Kimba"

"You're welcome, sweetie." Kimberley kisses the top of her head and turns to me. "Here you go" Kimberley passes me a Big Mac meal. "No gherkins, just the way you like it" she grins before sitting down next to Imogen, opposite me at the table.

"Eat nicely, Imogen" I warn her. "Don't play with your food

Imogen talks to Kimberley throughout, telling her about her morning so far and how she's completed the puzzle Kimberley got her, four times already. Kimberley begins to tell her what she did during the morning.

"Hello, third wheeling" I giggle.

"Aw babe, what did you do this morning then?" Kimberley laughs sarcastically sympathetically.

"...exactly the same as Immie" I laugh. "Nothing too fascinating"

"Thank you Kimba" Immie grins as she finishes the last chicken nugget.

"You're welcome angel"

Imogen climbs down off the chair and makes her way into the living room and sets about putting the TV on.

"She's such a sweetheart" Kimberley says, shoving a chip into her mouth as she watches Imogen through the door in the living room.

"I know, she's growing up so fast" I pout before finishing my burger.

***

"Right I'm off to work, you still alright watching Immie?" I ask Kimberley who is cuddled up on the settee with Immie reading her a book before bed.

"Yes of course, you get going" Kimberley replied.

I walked over to Immie and kissed her on the head. "Night night Immie"