Chapter 16

Yuki paced back and forth in the living room. It is already 7 in the morning of Sunday.

He stopped and faced his friends. "Is she really coming back?" Worry marked his voice. He sat down and hugged his knees.

Ranmaru looked down at the floor. "I feel suddenly dreadful."

"I'm also actually worried." Takenaga agreed. "Where would she go? Her father's in Africa, her aunt's in London. We don't know any relatives of hers around here."

Kyohei snorted. "We don't but maybe she does and that's where she went." His eyes went closed, lying down on the sofa with his hands under his head.

Yuki threw a couch pillow at Kyohei's face. Startled, Kyohei jolted up.

"What was that for?!"

"We are still worried here about Sunako and I can't believe you're being indifferent!" Yuki shouted at him.

Kyohei bit his lip and and rolled his eyes, clearly irritated.  He threw the pillow back at him before stalling out of the room.

"That Kyohei." Yuki huffed and then there was silence in the room. The only sound heard was the large front door banging shut.

They all shook their head, smiling.

Haruhi woke up the next day feeling set free. Thoughts about her confusion on Tamaki were all washed away after Rika and she went to have fun at the street fair. Right now, she is so engrossed in finishing her homework that she didn't notice that it was already lunchtime. Standing up, she looked out to the kitchen and thought of what to cook. Just then, there was a knock on the door.

She thought that it could possibly be Rika, visiting again but when she opened the door, it was the guy she was so filled up with thoughts of recently. In her shock, she slammed the door at his smiling face.

"Haruhi! Is everything alright?"

She doesn't want to answer, her voice might crack as her throat felt instantly dry. Everything she has forgotten for a few hours since yesterday is all coming back to her now. It has not been a day! She complained. He called her name again. Why is he even here?

She has to answer so that he'll go away. She kept the door closed. "Everything's fine. You just came at a wrong time. I'm really busy." Should I ask why he came? She shook her head.

There was silence on his side of the door and then he spoke. "Oh, okay." He sounded disappointed. "I'd just want to invite you for lunch. But I guess you can't go... so..."

Haruhi bit her lip. The two of them, having lunch together on a Sunday. Doesn't that seem like a date? I definitely won't go. But there's something at the back of her mind, telling her to go, to try and see what it really is she's feeling towards him.

"Haruhi, I'll be going then, bye."

The words struck her more than it should be. She groaned and then opened the door, he wasn't there. She stepped out and looked at the direction of the stairs and there he was with his head turned back from her.

"Haruhi?"

Heat rose to her cheeks. She didn't return his gaze as she spoke. "I'm... going with you. Wait here." She glanced at him and saw him smiling widely.

She got out of the door again after getting annoyed at being indecisive on what to wear. She kept repeating to herself that this isn't a date and this is just a friendly lunch. In the end, she wore a simple light green short sleeved dress. As soon as she stepped out, she swore she heard the twin's voices downstairs.