Chapter 24

A loud banging sound put Irene out of her reverie. She looked up and saw the door burst open with a great impact it almost fell out off its hinges. "Who..." Irene asked in almost a whisper. She has been waiting alone for hours and has been hoping for anyone to come until this person did.

In the dim light given by the moon, she couldn't really see who it is even until he walked fast towards her and gathered her in his arms.

Four hours ago.

Yuki and Azumi left Irene in the garden and told her to wait there while they'll go and find Ranmaru. They've got a plan on how to make him go there and she'd then have to get the chance and tell him what she wants to say.

It has been just half an hour and she's silently sitting in a bench when she heard voices-male voices going in her direction. They were talking about how bored they are of the work they have to do in their class.

Their voices got nearer behind her when it all stopped and three guys were suddenly standing in front her.

"Hi, what are you doing here alone?" One of them said. They inched closer and she immediately sensed danger.

She stood up and willed herself to run but before she could take a step, both her hands are being held down. She struggled to make them let go of her.

"Where are you going? We just want to talk with you to pass the time." Another one said. "You see, we're really bored."

The one who's not holding her down raised a hand and was about to touch her face.

"What are you doing?" A voice from behind them said.

She knew that voice. She looked up and saw through the guys that it was Mori. Her eyes turned to the guys who tensed and then let her go.

They turned to face him. "We just want to talk with her, Pres." The one in the middle said.

Mori strode closer. "Talk? It didn't look like that to me." He stopped just a few inches from them. "Why don't you go back to your class? The festival isn't over."

They bowed slightly and then walked back the way they came.

"Thank you." She said to him.

Mori looked down at her. "Why are you even here alone? Is this where Yuki told you to wait?"

She nodded and then they sat down in the bench. For a while there was just silence between them until Irene spoke.

"Where's Ms Haninozuka?"

"She saw her friend, Kanojo and they headed out together."

There was silence again and this time, it was Mori who broke it.

"Yamanaka..." He said it like to no one in particular. "Are you related to Yamanaka sensei of the music school where we first met?"

"Ah, there are actually two Yamanaka sensei in that school, my mother and my uncle."

He nodded in understanding. "I'm referring to Mr Yamanaka. So he is your uncle."

"You know him?"

He shook his head. "Not really, he's Yuri's teacher. He's the one who inspired her to continue learning music." He paused. "She likes him, Yamanaka sensei."

Irene sensed something in his voice. She leaned forward and then turned sideways to see his face.

"You look sad." She said but he was unmoving. "Do you like Ms Haninozuka?" She asked out of curiosity for the reason why he has that expression.