Over the Dinner Table

Detention is something no one ever enjoys. Except this one. The four youngsters thoroughly had a fun time at their Saturday morning at school. Jughead was upset. He knew that as soon as they departed, Monday would be different. Betty would forget his name, ignore him, and deny everything that happened on Saturday. That's just how it is with Jughead Jones. He was a loner, and no one really ever acknowledged him. He tends to shut out a lot of people, and push away his feelings, because although people have fears; snakes, spiders, rats, the dark, small spaces, heights etc.. Jughead Jones was afraid of love. It was something he had never experienced through his childhood right up through his teenage years, so he didn't know how to handle love. Although Betty made him promise that he would come to her on Monday morning, to start work for the Blue and Gold, he knew she would forget.

As the two hours they all spent together came to an end, they all wouldn't mind if they had to spend another two.
Principal Weatherbee rose from his chair for the first time since he arrived.
"All right, you are dismissed. You may leave" he announced.
They gathered up their belongings and headed for the door together. Betty and Veronica liked the two new additions to their friendship. They all seemed to get along really well and clicked instantly. Before they left, they exchanged phone numbers.
"See you guys around, I guess." Jughead half smiled, before turning to descend the steps in front of him. Betty looked longingly at him, love filling her eyes.
This didn't go unnoticed by Veronica, who would do anything for Betty. She could tell her best friend was falling for this boy and she could also tell that she wasn't ready to leave him just yet, she knew Betty didn't want him to be "just another encounter" so she quickly thought on the spot before the beanie-clad boy could make it any further.
"Actually, Jughead" she began. He looked around at the unfamiliar voice, as did Betty looking confusedly at the raven-haired girl next to her.
"Betty and I," Veronica looked to Betty and then back to Jughead. "were just about to head to Pop's for a bit. Wanna join?" She nudged Betty slightly to make her plan look less last minute, earning a nod from Betty to confirm that it wasn't all a scheme. Jughead still looked quizzically at Veronica, wondering why she had asked him.
"Please come too, Archie. You still didn't show me that other bicep" she added quickly, winking at the red head who stood nearby. She realised it looked like she took a fancy to Jughead, which she didn't, and this silently reassured everyone that it was for Betty's sake. Jughead nodded in agreement and made his way up the steps again to his friends in front of him. He chatted to Archie while Betty pulled Veronica over to the side.
"You're welcome" Veronica smirked to her best friend.
"Pop's, Veronica? Why did you say we were going to Pop's?" Betty queried.
"Um, Hello, it's not that easy to think on the spot while he was just going to walk away. Thanks for the great acting, BTW, you played along so well." Veronica said sarcastically.
"Maybe because I was confused. When did we say we were going to Pop's?" Betty asked.
"Oh. My. God, Betty. For the smartest girl in school, you really don't have much common sense, do you?"
Betty shrugged, still unaware of what her friend's intentions were.
"Jeez, Betty. You're totes falling for Jughead." Veronica stated.
Betty immediately blushed and tried to brush off what Veronica had said so casually.
"W-what? No, no I don't!" Betty defied, failing miserably.
"Come on, B, look." Veronica placed her arm around her best friend's shoulder directing them both to face away from the boys.
"I know when you like someone. You have that look in your eye. And when he was going to leave, you looked like a lost puppy." Veronica explained.
Betty sighed.
"So, I was doing you a favour. You don't want him to be a "see ya around the halls" type of guy, do you?" Veronica questioned, already knowing the answer. Betty instantly shook her head. A smile of victory appeared on Veronica's face. "Aw, my little B is in love!" She clapped her hands excitedly. "Look, let me do this for you. Just trust me. You two." She glanced over at Jughead and then back to the blonde. "could be amazing together." She looked at her best friend for approval. Betty thought for a moment, then nodded her head with a smile. "Okay." She said with a smile.
"Yay!" Veronica said with enthusiasm. "Let's go."
She dragged Betty back towards the boys who were waiting by the steps and they all made their way to the little Chock'lit Shoppe that was the heart of Riverdale.
-
When they arrived at Pop's, there wasn't much people. It was only around 11:30 anyway so they took up a booth at the corner. Veronica sat first, sliding up to the window, and as Betty went to take a seat next to her Veronica gave her a daring look. "Archie, come sit" Veronica patted the seat next to her and Archie took it.
Betty then slid into the other side of the booth close to the window, Jughead occupying the space beside her.

Not long after they sat down, a waitress came over to take their order.
"I'll have a chocolate milkshake and some fries, please" Veronica spoke politely.
"Burger and fries, with a banana milkshake for me" Archie said.
"I'll have a burger and fries with a strawberry milkshake, thanks" Jughead said, handing over the menus.
"Vanilla milkshake with some nachos please" Betty said in her polite manner.
The woman walked away and soon returned with their orders.
They all shared jokes and stories, enjoying each other's company the whole time. Betty enjoyed herself. She loved her new friends. They sat sipping their milkshakes and eating their food. Jughead was so different to what he seemed like. He was actually quite the comedian and had a lot of interesting stories to share. Archie wasn't all about football, and actually enjoyed music too.
They were mid conversation, when Veronica turned to Betty.
"Hey, B, there's a little something on the side of your mouth" Veronica said motioning to her own mouth.
Betty's face reddened, and she wiped harshly at her mouth. "Really?" She said getting flustered, when her friend kept shaking her head, indicating she hadn't removed it yet.
"Here, let me get it" Jughead turned Betty's chin towards him, and slowly wiped the side of her mouth with his thumb. They didn't realise that they stayed in that position, for a little too long, staring at each other and smiling. Betty suddenly realised and giggled before gently pulling away from his touch. He chuckled softly before turning back around and wiping his hand with a napkin.
Veronica gave Betty a sly grin, which Betty blushed but smiled back.
At around 2:30 they realised they'd better get going.
They got up to leave and exited the shop before saying their goodbyes and going their separate ways. Veronica's limo was already waiting for her and she hugged her best friend before leaving, whispering silently in her ear, "Success!"
Betty laughed before waving off her friend, before Archie left aswell waving at them, leaving Jughead and Betty alone.
"Well, I'm gonna go on then" Betty said shyly.
"Yeah, me too." Jughead said, stuffing his hands in his pockets.
"Well, it was nice meeting you. See you Monday?" Betty smiled.
"See ya Monday" Jughead confirmed, smiling at her before they both started walking, in the same direction, which was awkward.
"Guess it's not goodbye just yet" Jughead laughed.
Betty let out a soft laugh. Something which made Jughead smile. Something he now adored. He walked her home and they talked most of the way there. When they reached her house, Betty paused and turned to face Jughead.
"This is me" she said motioning to the decent sized suburban styled house behind her.
"Well, it was nice hanging out." Jughead said hands still in his pocket, as he rocked on the balls of his feet.
"Yeah, definitely. We should do it again some time." Betty smiled. "Thanks for walking me home" she added.
"No problem. See you Monday?" He asked.
"See you Monday." She giggled. "Call me." She told him.
He nodded and smiled at her. "Will do." He replied before they stood there awkwardly not knowing what to do.
"Well, I'll see you at school, have a nice day" Betty said before turning to walk down the driveway.
"Right back at you" he smiled before heading off towards his home.