The Explanation

A/N  So sorry for the wait! Such a busy week! But here's a new chapter hope you all enjoy!!❤️ 
❗️⚠️TRIGGER  WARNING⚠️
Some creepy, fucked up shit ahead. Murder etc..

As soon as he'd left, Betty walked straight to her mother to see if she was okay.

"Did he do anything? Mom? Are you hurt? Did he hurt you?"

The questions were just flowing from her mouth and she couldn't seem to control it. Maybe she was afraid of him after all. Or maybe she was just letting him get inside of her head.

"Betty! Stop! I'm fine. I'm not hurt," Alice said loudly, grabbing Betty's shoulders to calm her down.

"Oh thank God!" Betty breathed, leaning on her mother and hugging her tightly. Alice rubbed Betty's back as they hugged and kissed her hair softly. As they were hugging, Alice opened her eyes and saw Jughead, still standing there looking more concerned and confused as ever. She looked at him, and then pulled apart from Betty.

"Honey," she motioned to Jughead and Betty turned around, completely forgetting he was here. She looked at him in pity and apology.

"Why don't you two go upstairs and talk, yeah? I'll make some tea and snacks for when you come down." Alice suggested.

Betty nodded and then walked upstairs, Jughead following behind her. Once they reached her bedroom, she sat on the end of her bed, Jughead sitting down beside her. He didn't say anything, just waited patiently for her to find her words and work it all out herself.

Betty breathed out.
"Whew. Okay. . . So..." She really didn't know where to begin and Jughead could sense how lost she was, so he took her hands that she was wringing and laced them through his own.

She smiled at him, appreciating his small gesture.

"I'll start with Chic. Who he is. So, Chic's my older brother. He's the oldest sibling. Then there's Polly, then me. Growing up, he was always a weird kid. He never went out with his friends, I don't even think he had any. My mom always got called to his school telling her all of this weird, fucked up shit he was doing. First, with objects. Like destroying toys and finding pleasure in it. But then it got worse. As he got older, it started getting worse. In middle school he started hurting people. He would scare people on purpose. First with weird, creepy pranks. And I mean creepy. There was once this time he put a dead mouse covered in blood in this girl's schoolbag. And then he created a doll figure of this girl at his school and cut the eyes out of it, put fake blood over it and tied a string around its neck, and hung it inside her locker. This was when my mom and dad had to do something about it. When they yelled at him for it, he only did worse, grounding him didn't do anything, he never wanted to leave the house anyway. Then in highschool he got expelled. He brought one of the butcher knives from our kitchen into school, and then threatened to kill someone with it," Betty paused, taking a moment to refocus and realise how wrong it was. Jughead looked at her, he looked shocked, but he still held her hands tightly, giving them a squeeze.

"Anyway, my parents had no other choice after he was expelled. So they sent him away, when he was 15. To the Sisters of Quiet Mercy. It's a home for troubled youths. He hated it there. He begged my parents for months to let him go home, but they couldn't. He was a psychopath and I was only 7, Polly was 9. They were afraid for us, incase he did something. They were afraid of their own son. Polly and I were too young to understand. He was 'just sick.' We weren't allowed to visit him. Anyway, they let him out after two years, and he came back home. He was still angry, but he never tried anything. Then, this is what happened. This is the 'crazy' thing he was talking about. You remember my sister Polly, right?" Betty asked.

Jughead nodded. "Yeah, I do. She died really young right? In a bad car accident with your grandparents."

Betty nodded and held back her tears. "Yeah, that's... not what happened."

Jughead looked at her, confused, so Betty explained.
"So five years ago, when Chic was 20, he was still living at our house. I was 12 years old, I think. And, it was Polly's 15th birthday. She was so excited. We were having a party for her. She had opened all of her presents. So, after she went upstairs to get changed, we both went into the living room, where Chic was. We hadn't talked to him much. We'd never known what to say to him, because we had only saw him when we were little. My parents were upstairs, organising the party. Polly asked Chic how she looked. He didn't answer. She asked him if he wanted one of her sweets. He didn't answer. I don't remember exactly what happened, but the next thing I know, he had her and he... he murdered her. In the middle of our living room. While I sat there, watching. I was 12, I didn't know what to do, he scared me. I was in shock. I thought he would kill me too. So I ran, I ran outside, and in luck, Sheriff Keller was patrolling. I told him everything and he came in and arrested him. My mom and dad were really in an awful state and to be honest so was I. She was such a good sister to me, and I still feel guilty to this day that I didn't do anything about it. I had nightmares about it. About him, for years. And he made me so mad. So, I know my mom and dad were scared, but that's why when I saw him today, I was just angry. I was scared of him, but now I hate him with everything inside me. I guess he did it because, he didn't get any of that treatment when he was 15, because that's when he got sent away. He was jealous. And you know, I thought I'd saved my family. But for what, 5 years? Now he's out, he's even angrier than before and now it's me he's out for. He's gonna kill me next, he said it himself. He's not gonna stop and it's all my fault." Betty started crying and sobbing into her hands.

Jughead grabbed her and held her close rubbing her hair and kissing her head. They stayed like that, just hugging, until Jughead looked Betty in the eyes.
"Betty, listen to me. None of this is your fault, okay? You did the right thing. It's Chic's fault, and he's getting to your head, he's turning it around on you. Everyone around you knows that. You're a good person, Betty Cooper. And that must've been killer, what you had to go through because of him. I'm not going to let him hurt you, Betty. Okay? We're gonna fix this. No ones getting hurt. We're a team okay? Aren't we?"

Betty nodded and swallowed.

Jughead reassured her, "I love you, okay, baby? And I would never ever leave you. I'm not a runner okay?"

Betty smiled through her soaked cheeks and kissed him passionately. She loved him so much.

"Jughead, I love you so much."
He smiled at her.

Betty smiled back. "And thank you for being there for me and my family."

"I'm always gonna be here," he said, wiping the tears from her cheeks. "Now, did your mom say snacks?"

Betty laughed and grabbed his hand, leaving her room and going downstairs. Indeed, Alice did have snacks and tea on the table and so they all sat around, and forgot about Chic for an hour or two.

But he didn't forget about them.