27

Nyx POV

I sat next to my older brother, holding his hand and stroking his forehead. Feeling a pit in my stomach grow with each passing moment.

His face was shriveled and old, he almost looked his age. I was happy to see that his hair hadn't turned white that would have been deeply disturbing, him being darkness and all.

You see, my brother was fading. He has been for a couple centuries. It began when humans got over their fear of the dark. They made fires and light bulbs; anything to keep away the dark.

Of course that was only a minor cause of it. There was also the fact that nobody remembered him, nobody prayed to him, nobody cared about him. I guess that happens when you're the oldest primordial

When our mother Chaos created the universe, she started with Darkness. Darkness made up everything in the universe, until she added stars, or Aether the primordial of light. It wasn't until Gaia and Uranus were born that Hemera and I came along. Although the humans still revere us, they long forgot about our predecessors, even though we are half as powerful. Last I heard from Hemera, Aether was still holding on; or at least doing better than Erebus. (Aether was created with Erebus and Hemera was created with Nyx in this story because it seems better to me. All of Nyx's other children are basically the same.)

I remember how I felt when Erebus finally told me he had given up. He stopped holding on and began to let himself go. That was when the pit in my stomach started growing.

Ever since I came into this world, he had taken me under his wing. He had showed me how to use my powers, and taught me everything I know. He was my older brother, albeit not by birth. These past centuries I have had to watch the man I loved and admired the most slowly waste away into nothing, and pretend to be happy for him like he wanted me to. He keeps telling me he will "finally have peace"

And as I think about it, I realize how selfish I am being, I should just let him do what he wants, its his eternity, not mine, but I always find myself with the same thought: I don't want to be alone.

As hard as it is to believe, I am not the most popular primordial. I've heard rumors it's because of the bad rap that my children get, but that just isn't fair. Moros, Thanatos and Ker are all upstanding individuals with splendid personalities, it's not their fault they're death incarnate. And the hellhounds weren't supposed to be evil; they are beautiful creatures. It was that dumb mutt Salvador's fault. I haven't checked on them in a while but I've noticed that they haven't been active too much on earth the past almost two weeks. I would have thought with Gaea doing her "overthrowing the bratty grandchildren" thing that they would want in on the action.

But anyways, one of the few people who don't hate me is Hemera, but we never see each other. With Erebus gone...

But here we were waiting on his so-called "heir". I don't know much about him, except for the fact that his name is Perseus. I am very worried about this. I really hope that Erebus didn't go senile and choose the Perseus. That child of Zeus would be a terrible fit for the role. Not to mention he wasn't even a god.

I was hoping that this Perseus would at least be a minor deity that I haven't heard of. Who knows, as long as I have been out of touch there could be a new Olympian.

I'm not going to lie to you and say that I'm not disappointed he didn't choose me. In fact I was furious at first. I was his best friend! I was already the closest one to his element!

But after a few years I calmed down and thought about it. As much as I didn't like it, I have never known Erebus to be wrong about something, or someone. He was very wise.

He first told me about Perseus around 17 years ago. Although his body is unable to move anymore, his mind is still active. Being darkness, he has the ability to see everything the shadows see, and shadows are everywhere. If he were not a primordial, I doubt he would be able to do this; it causes an unbelievable amount of strain on the mind as it is literally separating the mind into each individual shadow.