44

Artemis POV

I watched in silence as the young girl told Percy where her real father was. I rolled my eyes at it; Poseidon's kids were always told that, until they were old enough to become heroes, or otherwise serve him.

I wasn't the least bit surprised that he had broken the pact again. He never was too good at keeping it in his pants, despite being one of my favorite of the big three, even more than my father. Despite my allegiance to him, Zeus represents the very male behavior I despise

Poseidon wasn't too much better, but he always takes responsibility for his wrong doing. I'm sure he had no idea about this child, just like me.

That was what really alarmed me: my lack of knowledge. As the goddess of childbirth, part of me is present at every childbirth, even more so with demigods. I knew the moment that Perseus was born, though I didn't say anything since I honestly thought the whole pact was silly and idiotic. But I never knew about this girl. That could only mean bad things.

As I watched Percy, I expected him to jump with joy and give her a big hug or something. I think he mentioned something about wanting more siblings at the first award ceremony.

However he just stared at her for a moment with an unreadable look. I glanced at Zoe to see what she thought of it. She was just standing behind him with her hand on his shoulder, as if to comfort.

I was once again filled with quiet rage. For centuries Zoe and I had been on the same page about men and romance. And one boy comes and screws it all up.

I took deep breaths to calm myself down, and tried to remember what Perseus had said about romance. How it's not a weakness, but a strength. I thought back to Hemithea and Josephine. I removed them from the hunt several decades ago due to their romance, and where were they now? Simply raising a daughter, running a safe haven for demigods, and making a huge difference in every single life they touched...

I was broken from my thoughts by the sound of Perseus finally speaking.

He was crouching down to the little girls height, although she was still leaning slightly away from him in fear.

"What's your name?" he asked.

She hesitated for a moment, before responding, "Cordelia Lance. But I like to go by Cora."

He nodded, "Okay Cora. First, I want to say how sorry I am about your mom, and about how your stepfather treated you. I'm guessing you don't want to be around men for a while huh?"

Cora looked almost scared to answer him, in case he got mad, but after staring at his face, she nodded urgently, tearing up.

He smiled, "It's okay. In that case, I know of a group of girls who also don't like guys very much, and a lot of them have been hurt just like you. They travel together without men, and they support and love one another like sisters. That lady," he pointed to me, "Her name is Artemis, she is very strong and is in charge of the group and protects them. You are a little young to make a lasting commitment to it, but I'm sure they'll be happy to take care of you for now." He looked at me for confirmation.

Unfortunately I was too shocked to answer. After he learned she was his sister, I fully expected him to keep her with him no matter what. Instead he was doing what was best for her.

I was shaken out of my stupor by a small hand poking my arm tentatively. I looked down to see Cora looked up at me shyly. She asked, "Can I go with you Miss Artemis."

I suddenly remembered that I was in my 19 year old form that I use for council meetings. I resisted the urge to shrink back down into my thirteen year old form.