Chapter 16

Mike and Nifa lost, along with the other members of the guild. They failed to get a dragon egg after going through an intense battle with a much stronger guild. They didn't have a chance on winning at the first place, but they would rather try and fail than fail without even trying at all.

It was announced a day before they arrived at Mt. Tatsuyama that the remaining dragon egg there was one. There were 4 and the three were already obtained by the guilds who went ahead and took the shortcut.

Some perished because during their fight with the mother dragon, but most were killed by those who were blinded by the power and fame they would receive after completing the quest.

"There's always next time."

"But next time isn't a yearly basis, I doubt we'll be able to compete again next time." Mike was the type to easily get pumped up but easily get down hearted, so because of that he was feeling negative about the results.

Nifa gave him a weak smile. "It's alright." Her hands found its way on Mike's, holding it tightly.

A memory then crossed Mike's head, reminding him of the promise he and Nifa gave each other.

Mike's dream was to be a well-known adventurer. That was all he wanted when he participated in the competition. But along the way he met Nifa, the girl who showed him a lot of things that he was incapable of seeing himself. His dream changed as he got to know her more.

That one night, before they arrived at Mt. Tatsuyama, they created that promise. That time, Mike asked his friends from their guild to help him set the mood, giving them the perfect setting.

"Nifa, you opened my eyes. Because of you I found that something I never thought I needed in my life, and that something is you Nifa. I thought I could be everything after being an adventurer, I've been blinded by that thought. My dream was to be well-known and you constantly asked why I would give up the throne if I ever did win it but now if they asked me what I will do when I win, I'll take the throne. I promise I'll win this competition and be king, but when I do, promise me you'll be my queen." That was his proposal. The promise he made with Nifa.

And Nifa's reply to that proposal was what kept him going. "There would be nothing I would want more."

***

"Mike, do you get your situation right now?" A man waved his hand in front of the dazed young man.

"I'm a what?" Mike blinked. The thought that it was a dream occurred to him so he pinched himself to check. He instantly felt the pain and confirmed he was indeed not dreaming. "I have to tell Nifa."

"What? Who?" Confused as ever, the man asked Mike who already on the run.

Mike made his way to Nifa's household. Her new household.

After the competition, the runner-up was also given a chance to become a royal. A position below kings and queens was offered, the chance to become a duke or duchess. And to their surprise, the runner-up was someone Nifa knew. One of the few people she grew up with, her friend from childhood that she didn't know even participated.

She was offered to become his duchess, she didn't know how to refuse. Mike was nowhere to be found that time, he suddenly vanished after he accepted defeat. She was also on the verge of giving up on him that time, so she found herself going along with it.