•during• Chapter Eight

NOT PROOFREAD

|Michael Kingston|

There's no way in fucking hell November is going to find this out. I'll just hide it from her. Yeah, that's it. I'll get better before I know it, so that way, she won't find out at all. I know I shouldn't hide it from her, but I don't want to freak her out. For now, I have to tell my mom.

~

"Hey, sweetheart, what's up?" Mom was sitting at her desk, playing with her stapler.

"Please mom," I closed my eyes and took a deep breath through my nose. "Put the stapler down."

She pouted at me before asking, "Why?"

"You might not like what I'm about to tell you..." I mumbled.

"Michael Anthony Kingston, I swear. If you got a girl pregnant I'm going to whack you upside the head." She set the stapler down and stood up, placing her hands on her hips.

"I didn't." I admitted. She gave me a weird look. "I swear! Mom! I'm not that stupid."

"Then tell me, I have to get dinner started soon."

"Mom, it's nine o'clock in the evening."

She looked at me as if I was the stupidest person on earth. "Exactly."

I snorted, and with an eye roll, I opened my mouth to tell her what happened. "Mom, lately I've been feeling a lot of pain throughout my body and I looked up what it might be just to see how I could fix it. I didn't believe the results that came up so I went to a doctor and my research was right."

"Go on," she muttered.

"Mom, I have cancer."

She sat quietly, staring at me. I watched her hands twitch and her breaths shorten. I saw her hand making a move towards her desk, which made my eyes widen.

"Mom, don't," I warned.

"Michael don't you dare tell me what to do. If this is how I take out my anger, then so be it. How would you fucking feel, if your family went through all of this pain? If you had to be the parent in that family? How would that make you feel? Even though we have it, it does not make me feel like a million bucks. It makes me want to shoot someone sometimes, Mike! I can't handle all of this all the time!" She sobbed. I wrapped my arms around her. "Please," she cried, "just once."

"Fine."

She grabbed the stapler and moved her arm to throw it when I told her to wait until I'm out of the room. I heard the effect it had on the bookshelf. After hearing it being thrown three times, I entered the room. Mom attacked me with a hug and sobbed into my shirt.

"My baby, my poor baby. I love you so much, you do know that, right?" She looked up at me sniffling.

"Yes, mom, I know. I love you too. Everything will be fine, I guarantee it."

~

Nova Kingston

It was two o'clock in the morning when I got the phone call. I rushed over to Michaels house and yawned when his mom opened the door.

"He's just asleep, go right in."

"Thank you," I mumbled.

She had called me telling me what had happened to Michael and what the doctors told him about having cancer. She said she had waited this late to call because she knew that he wouldn't have wanted me to know, but I decided to come over anyhow.

I jogged up the stairs and down the hallway until I reached the door that I knew was his room. I opened it and immediately noticed how clean it was. I guess it was because he's always out doing something so he doesn't have time to make it messy.

I looked over towards his bed, where he was currently asleep. Then, I looked at the couch on the other side of his room. The couch was light blue and small. It was a fouton, actually. It faced his bed, but I knew I could change it.

I trotted over to the fouton and tried pushing it so that it wasn't facing his bed, but it wasn't budging.

~

It's been twenty minutes since I started trying to move the fouton and I've barely moved it halfway and I almost woke Michael up twice. I pushed it once again, causing it to make yet another scraping noise along the floor.

I heard Michael shuffle on his bed and I stood still trying to be as quite as possible. Letting out a frustrated sigh, I sat down on the couch and put my head in my hands.

I give up.

"Why don't you just come lay with me?" An all-too-familiar voice spoke from the other side of the room.

"Michael," I muttered sadly.

"She told you, didn't she?" I flinched at the cracking of his voice and tears welled up in my eyes.

Instead of answering, I shuffled over to his bed and crawled onto it and over to the side he was on. He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me close to him. Eventually, I was laying next to him, using my fingers to trace patterns along his bare torso.

"I really don't understand." My face was pressed to his chest, so when I said this, I felt him shudder at my breath on his bare skin.

"It just happens, it's life." I felt him shrug.

"But, that's just not fair. You know?" I sighed. "Of course you do...ugh, nevermind."

He chuckled. Kissing the top of my head, he mumbled something only coherent to himself.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing, baby doll."

I hummed. "Okay."

Michael and I continued to mumble random little things to each other for the next couple of hours or so until we both fell asleep.

-@-@-@-@-

The next morning, I woke up in only a sports bra and my running shorts from last night. I rubbed my eyes and looked over at Michael, who was already awake and numbly smiling down at me.

"Care to tell me where my shirt went?"

"Now that's a phrase I could wake up to every morning." Michael hummed. I punched him in the stomach. "Ow."

"Seriously," I mumbled, tracing all of the lines and marks on his bare chest.

"You stood up in the middle of the night, muttering something about not being able to sleep with a shirt on?"

I snorted, "Sounds like me."

His eyes roamed over the upper half of my body before he smirked. "I should sleep with you more often."

------------

a/n:

Soooooo just a filler but y'all are great! More votes than asked for and a lot more reads an comments :) thank you so much! you have no idea how happy that makes me.

25 votes and 10 comments for next chapter