10. His offer

Song: LATATA - (G)I-DLE ✨

'With you like this on a long night, with you during this long time. In the darkness, there's a red light. My eyes go left right, walking on the light. The starting point is coming near, what's there to be scared about?'

⚡️⚡️⚡️

"Why are you still here? It's... 10pm," Jongdae reminded me after taking a look at his own watch. Thanks to you, ugh.

"It's not really your business, you should continue your way." I tried to sound nice but there was no sincerity in my voice. Was I too direct? I regretted a second after I said that.

He was standing a distance away and the lights were too dim for me to see him clearly. At least I couldn't see his cocky expression. I heard him sigh and I was almost, almost curious about what was troubling him. 

But it's not like he would tell me, so I resisted asking about it.

"You haven't answered my question," Jongdae stated.

"It's not like you answer any of mine anyway," I mumbled back at him.

Then I noticed him shifting from one foot to another. "Are you always this stubborn?" He sounded a little worked up. 

Did I make him mad? 

I mean, it wasn't my intention to stir shit with him... but my words might really have been a little too harsh.

"H-How... is your hand now?" I changed to a gentler tone. 

I know this question has been lingering on my mind for quite some time but I never expected myself to ask him about it here at this moment. It was so out of the context, but I asked anyway because I still wanted to know. I guess I cared a little more than I thought.

Jongdae started to make his way towards me, and for some reason, I wasn't budging. He stopped in front of me where I could finally see him entirely, at a comfortable distance not too far or too close that would invade my privacy bubble.

"See for yourself," he lifted his bare hand in front of me. The fingers that I once crushed was free from the bandage. I studied it closely for five seconds before diverting my eyes back to him. He was already looking at me intently.

What's this feeling? Am I supposed to...keep staring back?

I quickly averted my gaze and raised my hands to adjust my hair at the same time, suddenly conscious of how untidy it might look again.

"Erm," I looked to his bandage-free hand again. "It looks fine now. I'm glad," I commented in a softer voice this time.

"It still hurts."

"Huh? Really?" I glanced up and made eye contact with him. Jongdae was serving a gentle look this time, and I must say it almost melted me. But it didn't.

What's up with him seriously? One day he could be mean and demanding, and on another day he could look fragile like a little boy that makes me want to hug him and protect him...

GOD GOD ROSIE DON'T GO THERE...

I cleared my throat loud on purpose and took a step back. "Erm, hey you know, I'm really sorry about that. It must've been hurt so bad since it took so long to heal... You can, erm, let me know if there's anything I can help you do if it's, erm, inconvenient because of your hand-"

"-So why are you here?" Jongdae interrupted me, looking around our area. "This is the 11th floor, your office desk can't be here."

Why would he change the subject so indifferently?