Chapter 7 - Conflicted

A/N: This one's a bit longer and has a lot of back story :*

(Y/N) was lying down in Elizabeth's bed, trying to make sense of everything that had happened in less than a day. Why was she feeling this way?

Who was Ban? And why did she feel so broken, yet mended, when he was near?

She couldn't get him out of her mind. He had scared her so badly, which was confusing since she didn't scare easily. But when it came to him..

She didn't get to finish her thought when she heard the door open.
She got up to see the very same man who had tormented her thoughts standing in the doorway, out of breath.

She got up quickly and yelled at him to leave, but he only approached her carefully and suddenly he stopped and kept his eyes on the floor.

She stood still, not knowing what to do, but it wasn't until he lifted his head back up that she noticed it. Ban was crying.

Before she could say anything he threw his arms around her with such force that they both fell to their knees. He cried softly against her shoulder at first, but as soon as she started petting his hair trying to comfort him, his cries turned into gut wrenching sobs.

For some reason this broke (Y/N)'s heart. This wasn't normal crying.
It was as if he was crying for a lifetime of sorrows in this one breakdown.

She couldn't turn him away, no matter how upset she was with him, not now. 
So she started to stroke the back of his head while gently rocking back and forth, humming gently to him. It seemed strange at first as it looked like she was comforting a child. But at this moment she believed that it was what Ban needed.

She looked up carefully to see everyone else standing in the doorway and she gently waved at them to leave them alone for a moment, so they left.

After what felt like an eternity, Ban's sobs were quieting down and he started to breathe more steady. She pulled away to look at him but he only pulled her close to him again, refusing to let go.

"I'm not going anywhere Ban, but we need to talk."  She pulled away again and dried his tears.

He just nodded and got up with her and they went to go talk to Meliodas.

Flashback (5 years before the sins were framed)

 (Y/N) sat down with Meliodas sighing loudly

"Trouble in paradise?" The blonde grinned

"Whatever, he's an idiot, I don't care" she huffed.

"What did he do now?" he asked while getting both a drink.

She only sighed and looked at him, before he understood right away.

"Elaine?" he said looking a little dejected.

"Yeah" she said looking down at her drink "I feel like it's the only thing we ever fight about since we got back together.."

"What happened?" 

"Well, I told him about the mission Bartras is sending you and me on and he flipped out, like he always does when I'm sent to a mission without him."

He nodded for her to continue.

"So I told him that he needed stop being so paranoid as it was driving me crazy" she took a swig of her drink "and then he said 'if I'm driving you so crazy why don't you leave again?' "

"Ouch" He replied.

He had met Ban before (Y/N) and found out that they had broken up after being inseparable since childhood because of his obsession with stealing from the fountain of youth in which she had told him that they needed to leave it alone. Something about disrupting a place that shouldn't be touched by just anyone.