Chapter 31 - Forest of the unbalanced.

I'm behind schedule and I'm so sorry. Had a lot to do and time just seemed to slip through my hands without me realizing. But I'm getting back on track!
Thanks for your patience <3

(Sorry this chapter is shorter, but it's more like an introduction to what is coming!)

–––––

"It seems like it's the only way to go." Diane sighed while trying to look over the trees to the dark forest that spread for miles. She didn't recall this place ever existing. But it was the only road they could take.

Zhivago hid his face in Elizabeths leg after looking at the ominous woods.

"It's alright." the princess smiled while patting the child's head. "We have Diane with us, remember?" 

He looked up towards the giant before giving a small nod, lip still trembling. 

He wanted his mom.

"W-What's going on?" 

"It seems like the trap only affected him." Dreyfus said while examining Hendrickson.

"Seems so." 

"(Y/N)? Dreyfus? What trap?" Hendrickson asked while getting up on shaking legs. 

"It seems like the Goddesses put a trap on the coffin in case of something like, well, this, would happen. The force expells any demonic power." (Y/N) briefly explained while summoning her wand.

"What the hell..." 

(Y/N) chuckled. "Hell, indeed. Now," She turned to Dreyfus. "Let's go find my pets." 

Ban watched with a smile as Zhivago and Kilia were happily talking. She was telling him all about her mother and her siblings. The werefox had been deeply touched that Ban had decided to name his son after him.

"That was actually (Y/N)'s idea." the fox explained. 

"Sounds to me like you found yourself an amazing woman." his father mused, earning a sad nod.

"Girls." Zhivago looked between Jericho and Kilia. "How about you go downstairs for food. I need to talk to Ban here for a moment." 

Jericho nodded before picking up Kilia, who pouted.
"I hate when grown up do this. Mama and Papa always end up breaking stuff when they want to be alone."

Ban, giving himself away, choked on air while Zhivago gave him a look of disapproval and Jerichos face was on fire.

"L-Let's go!" she said before taking the child downstairs and Zhivago turned to his son.

"Tell me everything, Ban." 

"I swear once our powers fully return..." Melascula hissed while her and Galand clenched their chests after one heart each was stolen from the demons.

"I thought I made it clear to everyone that some people were off limits." (Y/N) said in a bored tone before the hearts clenched in her hands made a sickening pop and the demons gasped in pain before coughing up blood. 

"If you want revenge... How do you expect us to do anything without our powers?" Galand seethed and (Y/N) rolled her eyes. 

"I never once said that you can't collect souls. But do not touch innocent people. And so help you if any of you harm any children." she warned with her staff threateningly pointed at his chest, ready to collect another heart if the message wasn't clear enough.

The demons, teeth gritted from the loss of their pride, simply nodded in response.

"So she suddenly turned evil?" 

Ban sighed before running a hand through his face. "No, Zhivago. I refused to believe that she turned evil. She... broke. I myself feel like I'm going to crack under pressure any minute and I haven't gone through half the things she has." 

He let out a shuddered breath. 

"I'm really trying. I have to. The first thing the children did when (Y/N) went crazy, was to look to me. If I break down, they will know just how serious this is... I don't know what to do..." 

Zhivago smiled sadly before sitting up, next to his son. "That is what being a parent is like. They stay strong and keep going, even when believing that they have no strength left to give." 

He looked over to his father, who had his head rested on his shoulder.

"There's more, isn't there?" 

Ban gritted his teeth while his fists clenched, knowing exactly what Zhivago was referring to. 

"I don't... I never..."

"But you did at one point, didn't you? You hated her for leaving, for keeping all those secrets from you and–"

"Don't–"

"For killing your first born." 

A painful silence filled the room, apart from Bans ragged breathing. "It doesn't matter now... It was only for like a second... I could never tell her. It would hurt her." he hissed.

"I think you're underestimating her, Ban. I believe that she's always known. You can't expect the thought of you blaming her, to never cross her mind. Therefore, she's suffered more from your silence than she would have from your honesty." 

He just stared dumbfounded at his father who began patting his back to comfort him.

"Ban. You need to have faith in her, in the two of you. No matter what happens, you need to remember the love you two have for each other. Unconditional love. That alone can create miracles." The hand on his back slowed down. 

"Those are my last words to you, son."

"You smell like the backside of our pet pig!" Kilia huffed while scrunching her nose.

"Whaa? Wha'd'ya say lil'girl?!" A man slurred before falling backward and passing out.

Jericho rolled her eyes before picking the child up. "Do you have to pick a fight with everyone?" 

"Do you always have to comment on it? Beet head." 

The woman sighed to herself. "I'm a holy knight. I shouldn't have to take this crap." 

Kilia squirmed out of her grip before skipping around singing.

"Oh, holy kniiight. Her beet-head shines so briiiight!" she giggled before squealing when the knight began chasing her. 

Soon enough, she was caught and howled with laughter while Jericho tickled her sides. 

Slow, heavy steps caught their attention and they looked up to see Ban come down the stairs.

"Where's–" the woman got quiet when he only shook his head.

"Diane! Zhivago!" the princess yelled out desperately while climbing over the giant tree roots. 
They had been separated, shortly after entering the forest, and now she was running for her life.

She prayed that Zhivago was with Diane. The things chasing them weren't human. But they didn't look like any demons they've ever encountered.

The woodlands were rotten and her eyes teared up from the foul stench of decay that burned in her nostrils.

It was like they had stepped into the land of the dead.