Battle of the Three Armies: Free-For-All (The Hobbit)

Mae Govannen, Mellyn! Welcome to another article of "Fandom Discussions"!

Today's topic will be in The Hobbit fandom concerning the Battle of the Five Armies.

<><><><><><><><><><>

The Big Question:

I've always wondered: What would've happened had the Orcs just . . . not come?

If the three armies of Men, Dwarves, and Elves decided to fight it out . . . who would win? The Mirkwood-Dalian Alliance? Or the Dwarves of Erebor and the Iron Hills?

Normally, I'd say the Mirkwood-Dalian Alliance, since they've got the numbers (Elves almost 2,000 and 200-300 Lakemen vs 500+ Dwarves) and the archers, and the Elves, being immortal, are arguably the most skilled and elite warriors in Middle-Earth.

However, they've probably haven't been fighting a whole lot save for some skirmishes and whatnot (the Dalians' experience is practically nonexistent), while the Dwarves have been on constant wars against the Orc-kind for decades, hence the Dwarves might possibly be more experienced than they are. 

Plus there's also the special ballista that shoots anti-arrow bolts and can kill and maim enemies on impact. Then they've also got goat cavalry and heavy war-chariots (keep in mind I'm talking about the movie version now). Possibly even crossbow-dwarves as well. 

The Men of Dale are few in number and probably won't compete at all against the Dwarves. I'm sure they've got a lot of archers as well, and will most-likely fight long-distance, as they would probably get creamed by the Dwarves due to their lack of numbers, lack of experience in combat, and lack of quality weapons and armor. And I'm talking about the book as well as the movie. But that's probably just me.

What's your opinion? What's your theory? Who do you think would've won the FFA-Battle?

For me, I think it's the Dwarves, despite being vastly outnumbered, they're not outmatched, outskilled, or outgunned.

However, this is in the movie, not the books. Plus, it did look like the Dwarves were getting their butts kicked a bit. Not much, but a bit. And the movie was badly done and the tactics were deplorable. So I can't be judging this by fun-looking Dwarven gadgets. lol XD

If this was the books, they probably would've definitely gotten their butts kicked, since the Dalians were an actual army and not a rabble of refugees. 

Maybe I'm picking the Dwarves because I'm tired of seeing arrogant, high-and-mighty Elves who think that they're better and more superior than everyone else. Who knows? But it's not like the Dwarves are any better.

"The Men are for the Men!" (to quote a variation of a quote made by a Dwarf in "The Last Battle" in the Narnia Chronicles).

<><><><><><><><><><>

Conclusion:

I hope you've enjoyed this discussion, even if this theory might just be a bit pointless. We all know that eventually, the Orcs would've descended upon them at some point, regardless of who the winners were, and the Free Peoples would've been destroyed (they almost were even without the Battle of the Three Armies scenario) and Sauron would've overrun the entire Northern front of Middle-earth and there probably wouldn't have been a War of the Ring because the Free-Peoples of Middle-earth would've been all defeated. 

In fact, I'm sure that Sauron probably would've reunited with his Ring eventually if this had happened. So yeah. A bit pointless. But hey, it was fun to talk about (at least for me). 

Long Live the Night!

- Noctus Fury

<><><><><><><><><><>

Word Count: 590 words

<><><><><><><><><><>

Date Published: 05/27/18