The Brutal Past

The night was dark and grim. Annika's mother was not yet home. The ten year old Annika was whimpering on her hard bed. Annika's mom was never there at night , she used to start her work at night. In the daytime she used to be so tired that she used to just cook the basic meal and go off to sleep. She never gave much attention to Annika but was very serious about her education. She had told her that without education a person can't earn money respectfully.Their house wasn't a big lavish one but it wasn't a cubby hole either. The rent was decent and whatever Annika's mother used to earn was spent on Annika's education, basic food and the rent. Annika used to see her mother dress up real nice as she used to go for work. Annika often used to ask her 'Mum, what do you do ? Every one of my classmates knows what their parents do but I don't' but Annika's mother never answered that question and used to just kiss her goodnight and go off to work. Another question that Annika never got an answer to was 'Who was her father?' , whenever she used to ask her mother , she used to dodge the question and say 'Maybe some other time'. One day one of her classmates ,Ishaan told her 'I heard my mother telling her friend that , your mom sells her talents for money, what talents exactly ? Annika shook her head and said she didn't know.  She went home and told her mom this , the colour from her mom's face drained out. Her voice quivered as she asked her 'You are to stay away from this boy and not believe in anything that anyone says. I will tell you everything when the time comes' , Annika opened her mouth to argue but her mother had gone from there.
Very soon Ishaan's word had spread in the entire school. The seniors knew what it meant. Annika's mom was a professional companion who worked for money. Every one of Annika's classmates were told by their parents to not mix with her. She had impure blood in her. Her mother's profession was despised by the people in the society. Little did they know that what Annika's mom used to do was not out of desire but out of pure helplessness. Annika's mom's family had run out of money. She didn't have any education and this proved the only way to support her family. But no one understood Annika's mom's dilemma ever. Annika got taunted every day at school. No one ever visited her , she had become an unwanted member of the class. But Annika believed her mother. She waited for her mother to tell the truth and never answered back to any of her classmates. Years passed but Annika never bowed down to the world. And when she was in her 11th grade it happened.Annika received the biggest shock of her life. The harsh words she had heard for years seemed nothing compared to this. Her world was finished. Her mom, the only companion she had , had hanged herself to death. Annika was numb. A neighbour handed over her a piece of paper which contained her mother's last words. It read
Dear Annika
I am sorry for what I am doing. I never meant to give such a childhood to you. Your classmates were right , I am professional companion or the Lady For Night as some people call me. I didn't do it out of my choice , believe me. I had support my family. I never wanted a child because I knew my dark shadow will always make life miserable for my child. But fate has never been my friend. I got to know you were going to be born. I could have aborted you but my heart didn't agree. I was selfish , i wanted someone who would love me. And who better than ones own child. So you were born. My greatest happiness. You were my greatest treasures. I loved you so much. I started living again. My soul was alive once more. But I had forgotten I carried a curse with me. A curse which would always affect your life. And it did. My worst fears came true. I thought I had kept it a secret but when are secrets ever hidden ? I couldn't bear the fact that you were hurt everyday but stayed so strong. You endured so much and never uttered a word. But I couldn't take it anymore Annika. I thought if I left you once and for all I would free you of this curse. So I took this step. I am sorry Annika for everything that you had to bear. And I don't know your father is . I never knew. I tried very hard to find out but I couldn't. Forgive me Annika. And I am always with you , maybe not in flesh but I am there.
I love you
With love
Mom.

The letter ended and Annika read it thrice. Tears swam in her eyes but she didn't shed them. Why should she , she thought ? For a woman who was so selfish that she left her all alone because she couldn't face insults. Annika knew what her mother did from a quite some time now but she wanted her mother to speak to her about it. She never despised her mom, in fact she was proud of her, for being so strong. But today she hated her. She hated her for leaving her , she thought she was a coward who couldn't face the world.
Annika performed her mother's last rites and had to give up the house because she didn't have enough money to pay the rent. She started living at the temple stairs. People passed her without even looking at her. She used to cry every night . Every day she used to howl for her mother. After a few weeks she decided to take all the money she had and leave for another city. Somewhere , where she could work and earn a living that would support her education. So she headed towards the railway station.

Next part contains Annika's journey to become the world's best businesswoman and how she Will reconsider her decision about Shivaay Singh Oberoi.

Please vote.....