Tape 1, Side B > Jessica

I go back home, fix dinner, eat quickly and go back to the tapes.

"Welcome back. So glad you're still listening. Are you having fun?" I snort.

"Yeah. Fun."

"You must be wondering who's next and why. Is it you? What did you do? How did you end up on these tapes?" I'm honestly really relieved that I'm not on these tapes. "Maybe you did something cruel. Or maybe you just watched it happen. Maybe you didn't even realize you were being cruel. Maybe you didn't do anything at all. And maybe you should have. Too late. I think you know exactly what you did. And after these tapes, you'll never forget. I know I won't. Oh and uh by the way... I'm still dead."

"What are you listening to?" I quickly press pause after Deran scares the complete shit out of me.

"Nothing nosy. Just some tapes."

"Kids your age still listen to those?"

"You'd be surprised what 'kids my age' do nowadays. And by the way you sounded like an old man just now."

"I'm not that old..."

I raise my eyebrow

I raise my eyebrow. "I'm not."

"Can I finish?"

"Sure. Dinner was good tonight Jade. As usual."

"Thanks." He shuts the door and I press play.

"Friendship. It's complicated. Don't worry. You won't go through this alone. That's not fun. Trust me. I've been there. Now it won't always be easy. It might even hurt a bit. Or a bit more than a bit. That depends on you. But fear not. We'll get through this. Step by step. Tape by tape. You and me. Together. And don't forget, there are others."

"See I can guarantee that one of the reasons you're still listening is that you really want to know who are the others? Who else is responsible for my death? You're going to learn soon enough. And they're going to learn about you too. If they haven't already. What? Feeling paranoid? On edge? Yeah. High school does that to a person. You never really know who you can trust. And who you can't. So keep your wits about you. It's all part of the game. But remember it's not a game. Not at all."

"Ok. Enough with the small talk. It's time to meet the star of Tape One, Side B. So, without further ado, let me introduce my former friend. Step up, Jessica Davis. You're next. I met Jessica a couple of weeks into sophomore year. Apparently, we needed to be counseled. Do adults understand how friendships work?"

Nope. That's why we make our own friends...

Fuck. Fuck this locker. Fuck this school. Fuck the fact that I'm just a 7th grader. Just fuck everything.

"Open you stupid piece of metal shit. Fucking open!" The locker door swings open and collides with someone's face. "Oh God!"

"Fuck!"