11

Jade Adams

"Seriously Zach, 5 containers of Froot Loops?" I say as my boyfriend sits down at the lunch table.

"What? I like Froot Loops."

"Have you ever looked up Froot Loop in Urban Dictionary..." Jeff asks.

"Shut up." I say.

"What?" Zach asks. Fuck.

"Not you. Th—The voices in my head. They're always talking and sometimes I have to tell them to shut up once in a while."

"Oh ok."

"Cheesy but nice save." Jeff says.

"You know your boy keeps looking at you Zach. You think he needs a diaper change?"

"Shut up Monty."

"Why don't you go take care of him? You know it's normal for nurses to fall for their patients."

"He's such an asshole." Jeff says. "That's one person I don't miss."

"Fuck off. I don't even like him."

"Oh right. It's just your mom that makes you carry his books and wipe his ass since he can't do it for himself." Bryce says.

"No the ass he does for pleasure." Monty says.

"Are you guys done?" I ask.

"For now." Monty says with a smirk.

"Jade." Clay says to me at my locker after lunch.

"Nope." I say back.

"I didn't say anything."

"Why do you have to be so mean to Clay?" Jeff asks. "He's still my friend."

"Didn't have to say anything. I know you want to know why Zach is still hanging out with Bryce."

"Well yeah but—"

"But nothing. You want to know, ask him yourself. I'm his girlfriend not his fucking secretary." I shut my locker and leave him.

<>

Zach Dempsey

Jade
I need to see you. I'm on my way.

I wonder what this is about. She rings the doorbell and I get the door.

"Who is it Zach?" My mom asks.

"Jade." I open the door. "Hey babe." she pushes past me with an envelope in her hand. "What's going on?"

"I've been subpoenaed." She hands it to me.

"Oh shit."

"Oh shit is right

"Oh shit is right. I just got it today."

"But the Bakers—"

"It's not from the Bakers. The school wants me to testify for them."

"Why?" she throws her arms up.

"Who the fuck knows." She flops down on the couch.

"Hey Jade." May and Mrs. Dempsey come into the living room.

"Hey May."

"Everything ok?" My sister asks her. My girlfriend turns to her.

"Be nice to people May. Because you don't want to end up in the middle of a messy trial."

"Noted." Jade turns to me.

"I hate lawyers... Especially defense lawyers. I don't know what I'm supposed to say to defend this shitty school."

"What are you going to do?" Zach asks.

"I'm gonna be honest. I hear that the defense lawyer is a real bitch. All I'm saying is she better not cross me or else that courtroom will light on fire."