1

Zach Dempsey

I grab my biology book and shut my locker. As I'm walking and trying to stuff my book in my bag, I bump into someone and I hear books clatter to the floor.

"Shit." I say. "I'm so sorry." I look up at her. "Sorry. I'm so sorry Jade." I go to pick up her books.

"Leave it." She says. "When I drop things, I like to wait and see if they pick themselves up." We both look down. "And clearly my telekinesis isn't working today." We both bend down and I hand give her the geometry book. She has beautiful eyes. I mean I knew but I never really took the time to look.

"I'm sorry again."

"It's no problem." She smiles. "Sorry you couldn't see my powers work."

"Yo! Dempsey!" I turn around to see Bryce. "What's the hold up?" He comes over to us. "Oh hey Jade." He rests his arms on her shoulder and presses a light kiss to her cheek. For some reason, I felt a little jealous.

"Hey Bryce." She says back.

"How ya doing?" He asks her.

"Good. Thanks." She says with a smile.

"I hate to cut this short but we have to go." He leaves Jade and catches up with Monty.

"Come on man." Monty calls out.

"Yeah just a minute." I turn back around and she's gone. What the hell?

<>

There's no practice today so I can go home and study. I pull my car out of the parking lot and get ready to leave the school when I see Jade smoking.

"Hey." I call out. She looks over at me.

"Hey yourself."

"You know you can't do that around here."

"On the contrary. This happens to be a very special smoking spot."

"How so?"

"Because it is exactly one foot away from what is considered to be school grounds. I looked it up."

"She does her research."

"That I do."

"Do you want a ride Jade?"

"No thanks. I don't live too far from here. I like the walk. Thanks anyway Zach. Rain check?"

"I'll hold you to it." I put the car in drive and speed off.

<>

Jade Adams

As I close my locker door, a piece of paper drops right next to me with my name on it. I look down and it has a string attached to it. I go to pick it up but it moves. I sigh and bend down but it's pulled again.

I follow the paper trail a couple more feet and around the corner to see it being pulled by Zach.

"Aha behold. My telekinesis has led you right to me." I laugh.

"You're a fool Zach. Can I read it now?" he nods and I bend down to pick it up. I open it and read it.

Hi.

"Really? You went through all of that for two letters?"

"It brought you here to me didn't it?"

"So what do you really want?"

"Would you like to have lunch with me today?" I smile.

"Yeah. Yeah I would." The bell rings.

"I'll see you then. You can keep that by the way."

"Thanks." I call out. I walk down another hall and see Tony.

"Well?" he asks.

"I'm having lunch with them today."

"This is actually working?"

"It's because I'm that good Tony. Where are the tapes now?"

"Sheri mailed them already so they should reach Clay soon." I nod.

"Alright. Good. I'll talk you later."

<>

I pay for my sandwich and juice and see Zach waving me to come over.

"What have we got here?" Monty asks. "A visitor to our blessed table?"

"Seems so." I say with a shrug. "I hope you don't mind."

"Oh please." Bryce says. "You're always welcome." I take a seat in between Justin and Zach.

"How are you holding up?" Justin asks me.

"I'm still smiling aren't I?"

"So how did you end up back at this table with these degenerates?" Marcus asks.

"Zach invited me." the boys erupt with 'ooo's.' "I missed eating with you guys." Jeff and I used to eat lunch with them almost everyday. "There's never a dull moment."

"Well we're glad you're back Jade." Bryce says.

"Glad to be back." I say with a smile.