1.3

After Cristy's nightly routine of telling a bed time story before going to bed, the twins were tucked in and ready to sleep. Christy did not forget to kiss the twins' forehead before closing the door behind her. The Duke calling the children today baffled Christy a lot. After many years of not seeing them, he suddenly called them for something he can assign his aides. If Christy were to be honest, she loathed the Duke.

Her mistress, Duchess Magnolia Rosal, loved him to death, yet what did he do? He left her dying with her heart full of hatred and sorrow. The past Duchess left the world with her heart broken. After seeing her husband in an intimate position with her own sister, her mistress demanded an explanation from him, yet he did not even try to ask for forgiveness. Months had pass and there was a cold war between the two of them. Even during the duchess' child birth the duke, instead of staying by her side knowing she would have difficulties in giving birth, left the capital for war. Although Christina's hatred for the duke ran deep, she couldn't leave. Not when she promised her mistress in her dying breath that she'll take care of the duchess' children like her own.

Lilac and Lily were the names her mistress chose for her children. She thought both of her children were girls and named them so. Magnolia Rosal didn't have enough time in her hands to name her children more elaborately and just said what came into her mind. Christina, up till this day, still thinks that her mistress had an eerily accurate guess. Perhaps it was just the workings of fate when Duchess Magnolia named them.

Lilac, in flower language means proud and beautiful, Though the child was still three years old, one can see that she is going to become a calamitous beauty when she grows up. Lily, on the other hand, means purity of heart, majesty and honour. Christina observed that even though he is still a child, he is very perspective and considerate. Perhaps his early maturity was due to him being born in nobilty, due to an absent father and people scheming around him. If only her mistress was still alive, she would be very proud of both of them.

Christina, if possible, wanted to whisk them away and live with her a commoner's life, yet that was impossible. The only thing she can do to them was try to let them have a wonderful childhood as much as possible.  She wanted them to remain innocent of the cruel world. She wanted them to have good memories before they step in to noble society, which was full of evil and darkness hidden under its glamour.

🥀

Lilac did not sleep well that night.

Plagued by her past life's dreams, she woke up with tear drenched pillows. She dreamt that she was surrounded by darkness whispers of 'i love you' echoed. Then she ran, yet where ever she went the voice still followed. Her ex-fiancé suddenly appeared before her holding a gun. Then he pulled the trigger. Lilac lay in her bed, drenched in sweat and tears.

"Lilac whats wrong? Are you okay?" Lily was awoken by the sorrowful sobs from his sister. He thought she was crying due to the events that happened earlier that day. He thought that Lilac was hurt from their father's treatment.

"I'm fine Lily, it's nothing. I just had a bad dream." A moment of silence ensures.

"Hey Lilac..."

"Yes?"

"Do you think father hates us?" Lilac was shocked seeing how perceptive her brother was. If it was her who asked that question, it would not be that weird seeing as she's a 28 year old woman living in a three year old's body.

"Why do you think so?"

"Well, we never see him that often. Bobby's father is constantly there for him and he has a mother too..."

"I don't know, he probably does. Do you feel bad about it?"

"Not really, I have you and Christy..." Lilac was touched by her brother's words. Things like this, Lily's innocence and rare moments like this is what she should be protecting.

"Good night Lily. Love you." Lilac was greeted with Lily's snores.

🥀

Music filled the air, as well as heavy perfume from the guests. Men and women, all wearing their best, mingled with each other. Some with underlying intentions, some genuinely catching up with their friends.

Meanwhile, Lilac and Lily were bored out of their minds. Lily was busy trying to accommodate their guests' children. Lilac, on the other hand, was busy forging connections in the guise of 'friendship' with other noble children. It couldn't hurt to start at an early age right?

"Pardon little misses and little sirs, may I borrow my children's time for a minute?" Duke Rosal came over them, along with a beautiful lady and a pink haired child at his back. The girl Lilac was talking to giggled.

"Sorry Iris, talk to you later."

"Ok" Lilac and Lily followed their father.

Although the twins didn't know what reason they're father called them for, Lilac assumed it concerned the woman and the child behind him. Lilac was anxious. Maybe the duke is introducing them to their new mother. She was did not believe in the notion that all step-mothers were evil, she just didn't like the way the woman was looking at her brother. As someone who grew up and was surrounded by schemes in her past life, she knew and was very perceptive and familiar on how the lady's eyes looked. Her eyes filled with hatred and envy and looked at them as if they were trash.

"It will be okay sister." As if sensing his sister's tenseness, Lily held Lilac's hand.

Yeah, maybe she is just over thinking. But Lilac, for sure, did not want that woman to be their mother.