CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Peter was standing on his veranda, gazing out at the beauty. The Walkman is connected to small, jerry-rigged speakers nearby,playing Sam Cooke.

"So I guess this could all be mine someday." said Peter.

Nikolai isn't paying attention. He's fooling with a communications device, which has no reception.

"Rocket? Rocket, you there? Dammit." said Nikolai.

Peter comes up behind him, messing with him.

"What are you doing, Peter?" asked Nikolai.

"Dance with me." said Peter.

"No. I'm not --" said Nikolai.

"Come on. This is Sam Cooke, one of the greatest Earth singers of all time." said Peter.

Nikolai lets out an exasperated sigh, but, reluctantly, starts dancing with him. He is incredibly light on his feet. Peter smiles and Nikolai, despite himself, does as well. He twirls him and brings him back again. This is definitely not the first time they've done this.

"Drax thinks you're not a dancer. " said Peter.

"If you ever tell anyone about this,I'll kill you.They look at each other." said Nikolai.

"When are we going to do something about this... unspoken thing between us?" said Peter.

"What unspoken thing?" asked Nikolai looking confused.

"This Cheers-Sam-and-Diane-guy-and guy-on-a-TV-show-who-dig-each other-but-never-say-it-'cause-when they-do-the-ratings-would-go-down sort of thing?" said Peter.

"There is no unspoken thing between us." said Nikolai.

"Well, that's a Catch-22. Because if you said there was, it would be spoken, and then you'd be a liar. So by saying there isn't, you're telling the truth, and admitting there is." said Peter.

"That's not -- " said Nathaniel as he pulls away. "What we should be discussing right now is that something about this place doesn't feel right" said Nikolai.

"What are you talking about? You were the one who wanted me to comehere!" said Peter.

Nikolai moves into the sleeping quarters.'

"That girl, Mantis. She's afraid of something." said Nikolai as Peter follows him.

Peter stops, staring at him, hurt and frustrated.

"Why are you trying to take this from me?" asked Peter.

"I'm not -- " said Nikolai.

"He's my father. He's blood - " said Peter.

"You have blood on earth. You never wanted to return there." said Nikolai.

"Again - you made me come here!And Earth?! Earth is the place my mother died in front of me. " said Peter.

"No, it's because that's real, and this is a fantasy." said Nikolai.

"This is real. I'm only half human,remember?" said Peter.

"That's the half I'm worried about" said Nikolai.

"Oh, I get it. You're jealous because I'm part god! You like me being the weak one!" said Peter.

Nikolai adds some pieces to his transmitter.

"Uh. You were insufferable to begin with. I haven't been able to reach Rocket. I'm going to see if I can get a signal outside." said Nikolai.

"You know, this isn't Cheers afterall. It's whatever the show is where one person is willing to, you know, open themselves up to new possibilities, and the other person is just kind of a jerk who doesn't trust anyone! It's a show that doesn't exist - it would never be made, it would be so horrible! It would get zero ratings!" said Peter angry at his best friend and the person he was in love with.