CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

PLANET'S HOLLOW

Yondu and Nebula, in the cockpit, are being overcome as blasts come through the walls.

"We're done for without the generator." said Yondu.

Nebula moans, frustrated. She flips open a section of the dashboard, then a part of her arm. The remaining Sovereign envoys have encircled the battered Laser Drill, blasting it to bits. Peter flies into the Laser Drill, slamming into the wall.

"Guardians! Perhaps it will provide you solace that your deaths are not without purpose. " said Ayesha on her ship.

Nebula is feeding the wires from the craft into her mechanical arm.

SOVEREIGN PILOT BAY

The actual Ayesha, fitted with the pilot gear, looks at the Laser Drill on the screen.

"They will serve as a warning to all of those tempted with betraying us, don't screw with the Sovereign" said Ayesha.

PLANET'S HOLLOW/LASER DRILL

Yondu works some switches: The Lasers slide back into the slots all over the ship.

"This is gonna hurt." said Yondu.

"Promises, promises." said Nebula.

Yondu flips all the switches; all power goes through the ship and makes Ayesha's ship loose power and her at the other pods, all of them are down.

"NO! NOOOOO!!" said Ayesha angry.

PLANET'S HOLLOW/LASER DRILL

Peter sees flaming chunks fly into the rig. And fire spilling toward the ship's engine, dripping fuel.

"We're gonna blow!" said Peter.

Yondu whistles as the flames hit the fuel.

BELOW SELF CHAMBER

Nikolai and Gamora watches as the entire laser drill explodes. He is stricken.

"Peter?" asked Nikolai.

They sees a tiny body flying from the ship, it's Nebula, who lands across from them on her feet. Gamora looks at her, worried. Nebula gives her what might be a little smile, and looks upward. Nikolai follows her line of sight and sees that Peter is flying from the explosion on his aero-rig. Yondu is holding onto a flying arrow, his one arm up straight, his heels touching. Peter looks at him and snickers.

"What?" asked Yondu.

"You look like Mary Poppins." said Peter.

"Is he cool?" asked Yondu.

Peter looks at the man who raised him and smiles.

"Yeah. He's cool." said Peter.

Yondu looks out at the Guardians as he comes in for a landing.

"I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!" said Yondu.

Peter and Yondu land beside Nebula. Nikolai sees Peter and marches towards him and pulls him into a small hug before letting go. The other Guardians enter, one by one - Nebula, Drax, Yondu,Rocket flying down on his aero-rig, and finally, Mantis,staring forward with concentration until  a huge chunk of spaceship flies from the side,flattening Mantis. The others all look down at her in shock.

"Oh. Wow" said Peter.

Mantis who is unconscious beneath the a ship fragment, has lost hold of Ego.The entire hollow around them begins to rumble. The ground and walls themselves shifts and waver. The whole cavity is alive. Drax checks on Mantis.

"She's just unconscious." said Drax.

SELF CHAMBER TUNNELS

Groot runs and hops through the tunnels. He comes to across roads.He sees a cosmic light emanating from one tunnel. He dashes off toward it

BELOW SELF CHAMBER

"How long before the bomb goes off?" asked Nikolai.

"In the unlikely event Groot doesn't kill us all, about six minutes." said Rocket.

Yondu speaks into the comm on his lapel.

"Kraglin." said Yondu in his comm.

QUADRANT FLIGHT DECK

Kraglin, nodding out, abruptly wakes when he hears Yondu's voice over the comm.

"We need the Quadrant for extraction in T-minus five minutes." said Yondu.

"Aye, Cap'n!" said Kraglin

BELOW SELF CHAMBER

All of them peer up to see the surface of the planet unfolding above them, so that the bright sky shines through.

"Someone needs to be up top when Kraglin arrives. Drax, take Mantis" said Peter making Drax nod.

He picks up Mantis. Peter grabs the aero-rig off himself and slaps it on Drax's back, which automatically wraps around his upper body.

"Ahhh! My nipples!" said Drax.

He flies upwards. The ground around them splits into enormous cracks. Nikolai sees a crack into the earth rushing towards  him and Peter, and he turns toward him. And Nikola's side crumbles away, Nikolai falling down with it

"Nikolai!" Screams Peter.

Huge blasts of earth shoots up all around Drax, Yondu, Rocket, and Peter. The planet has formed giant tentacles that hurtle towards the guardians.

Nikolai is plummeting, seemingly to his death, when he looks over and sees Nebula falling just behind him. Nebula grabs Nikola's arm and then grabs onto a passing cliff. They snap to a stop  hanging down off the side. Nebula tosses Nikolai up onto a flat surface. As Nebula climbs up after him, Nikolai looks at her, wary but surprised by this beneficence.

"Oh, get over it." said Nebula.

BELOW SELF CHAMBER

Peter blasts a tentacle. Yondu whistles, the arrow weaving through tentacles around them. Rocket tosses a bunch of tiny bombs at some, which they stick to and explode. But they are by no means winning this fight.

PLANET SURFACE

The giant Quadrant lowers toward the surface.

LOWER RIFT

Nikolai looks at Nebula.

"We have to get up to the extraction point!" said Nikolai.

They look over the edge and see a huge rift of land rising quickly.  They look at each other and jump, and grab onto the edge of the rising rift, clutching to it as it flies upward toward the open space above them.

PLANET SURFACE

Drax flies up onto the surface, he sees the Quadrant waiting for him there. He darts for the ship.

QUADRANT FLIGHT DECK

Kraglin opens the loading door from Drax so he could come in.

But huge swatches of the planet reach up and grab onto the Quadrant,yanking it down. Kraglin is freaking out inside the ship and throws the thrusters into high gear. The thrusters flare as the massive ship struggles to free itself from Ego's tendrils. And it does pull itself up for a moment, but the tendrils tighten, slamming it back down. The whole Quadrant starts to tip over. Kraglin falls down against the side of the ship. Drax sees the ship falling towards him and he runs away from it in fear because it's about to squash both him and Mantis. But Kraglin heroically crawls his way back up to the controls as he dangles from them. He pushes on the thrusters, so that the ship goes back up right. Drax turns and again runs toward the Quadrant.