"What do you mean you're sick? You were fine this morning" Amber announces in a harsh whisper, she was probably in the middle of teaching and taking the call in the hallway. Meanwhile, Jane was sitting beside Uta on a park bench as he idly hung his arm around her shoulders.

"I know, but... You know what can happen when the trains are packed... I might not be sick but the whole experience freaked me out... I do promise to go tomorrow. Yes, I know it's only Monday... Okay... Love you" with that, Jane pressed the decline button and sighed deeply with the dropping of her straight posture.

"What did you say? It was all gibberish to me",

"Obviously, you it was",

"No, you just sound like an idiot" he chuckles causing her to throw weak punches purposefully.
"Okay okay, you don't!" He laughs before pulling her in closer.

"Good, I never thought I did anyway" Jane smiles, to then rest her head on his shoulder.

They kept silent there until Uta found it boring just sitting around, but the fact that he had a whole day with Jane made him think otherwise.

"So what do I expect for today? I didn't skip school for just sitting in the park",

"We... Are going to talk",

"That sounds more than boring, it sounds deadly" she teases with a poking of his upper arm.

"And it is. But, I wanna do more than protect you from middle-aged men and walk you to school",

"That's what you signed up for in the first place",

"Yes... But, with ulterior motives".

At his words, Jane's body refused to breathe. It remained trapped in a sharp inhale. The pain infused into her heart and stomach but she couldn't let go.

"Then what do you want?",

"I want to get to know you Jane" Uta smiled in reply causing her to finally release the air she had been holding in her aching lungs.

"I'm not that interesting, honestly",

"I'm sure there'll be something about you that makes me stick around. I'm still here aren't I?",

"I suppose so...",

"Great! Now what to ask you?" He wonders aloud.

"Maybe my favourite colour?" She mumbled quietly, feeling a wave of awkwardness wash over her once comfortable form.

"Well... What is it?",

"Yellow...",

"Yellow?",

"What's so wrong with that?",

"You're a girl, shouldn't you like pink or purple or something like that" he rambles.

"And let me guess, you like blue because you're a boy?",

"No, I like black",

"Black's not a colour, it's a shade" Jane replied sharply with a mischievous grin painting her light-hearted features.

"What am I going to do with you?" He sighed under his breath, not thinking she would hear due to being human. But, she did nonetheless.

"Everything...".

⦿

"I should really be getting home, it's four and Amber will expect me home",

"We're going now, don't worry" Uta smiled, looking down on her while she walked by his side, his arm snaked around her waist. He was content, right up until he sensed a ghoul around the corner, someone he knew quite well. Renji Yomo.

His stark white hair made him a beacon amongst the humans, as well as the disgusting scent of a ghoul. Uta was frozen in his tracks once he caught sight of his friend, especially with Jane in his tight hold.

"Hey Jane, I need to go do something. You wouldn't mind waiting in that café for me, right?",

"Not at all. Just don't forget about me" she teased, with a sudden kiss to his cheek before departing from the ghoul.

From a distance, Yomo was desperately trying to understand his friend. Never had Uta been seen hanging around a girl like that, especially a human. With his sadistic demeanour and ruthless calculation, he expected more than a feeble, teenager.

"What are you doing here Uta?" He asked, his voice low as they both hid the shadows of the ally.

"It's none of your business",

"It is if you expose us" he proceeded to hiss.

"Listen, I've got this under control, I've got her wrapped around my finger",

"Are you sure about that?",

"What do you mean?",

"You're already smitten-",

"No!...-", Uta then lowers his voice dangerously.
"- She's human, nothing but food Yomo",

"Then why haven't you tried anything? You've had multiple opportunities".

Uta then looks back to Jane as she sits beside the café window, her back straight as she plays with the hair clip he had bought for her. His head at had experience a stab to the heart in that moment, it was undeniable. However, Yomo was right.

"I'm going to do it. Tonight, just once I get her back to apartment" Uta explained, sliding his glasses down the bridge of his nose so Yomo could see his kakugan clearly.

"Why? Why not now?" He asked.

"It'll draw less suspicion... Okay?".

"Yeah, you do know I'm just looking out for us, right?" Yomo continued before placing his hand upon Uta's shoulder. But, unlike what he expected from his friend, Uta only nodded his head slightly to then push his hand from his body and return to Jane.