Hope

"You can hit me, kick me, try to break me, but I'll always find my way back up..." ~ a future book🤫

~~~

It was a cold wintery evening when an old man sat alone in his small home. Wrinkles covered his face due to old age and his hair and beard were as white as the snowflakes that were falling outside.

He sat on his old, worn-out sofa, eyeing a small photograph on the mantlepiece, of his deceased wife and dying grandchild. His dark orbs glistened as he recalled some cherished memories of them when they were alive.
When they would go to the park, when he'd push the child on the swings, and how she'd shriek in happiness.
The time he and his wife first found her on their doorstep with a letter informing them of their daughter and her husband's deaths.
How they took care of the child as if she was their own, as if reliving the days when they had been blessed with their only daughter.

Sadly, now, these were only memories. His wife had died from a disease with no cure, and little Ella, sweet little Ella, was in the hospital after a suicidal attempt. She was still a child in his eyes and he hoped to the Lord that she was alive. But as the hours dragged by, he was losing hope. There was still no news of Ella waking up and he began to believe he had lost her too.

As he began to extinguish the dying flame from the fireplace, the doorbell rang. Wondering who on earth could be at his door at this late hour, he left the flame flickering and made his way to the door.

Opening the door, he was certain his heart skipped a beat. There sat a young girl, almost like 14 years ago, in a wheelchair being supported by a nurse in white. The same golden hair, the same blue eyes like the sea, the same small nose and smile. There she was, sweet little Ella, gazing up to meet his eyes.

His eyes watered, overwhelmed with emotion. He crouched down as best as his back would let him, stroked her hair and smiled too.

______________________________
Fun fact: This is probably my most proudest piece of work from high school. Was never a fan of the English lessons but I loved making stories up for a part of our exam where we would be given a picture and told to describe or write a story.

Hope you enjoyed it!

Lady Rose out~🌹