Chapter 4: the first day

Anna woke up, immediately started getting ready for her first day as the general's assistant. She didn't get much sleep last night, she just had nightmares about her past.

As she was still, technically, the Spy Commander, she assumed that she still followed her old "dress code," if you could even call it a dress code.

She got out of her quarters, down the corridor and made her way to the office door. She took a deep breath before letting the doors slide open in front of her at the press on a button. It opened revealing the general at his desk with a cup of coffee. "Good morning sir," she said clearly and in a rather format tone, as expected of her. "Morning Cromwell," was his reply. He didn't seem to mind her hair being down when he glanced up at her, that was a good sign.

She sat at her desk in silence and typed away which made Hux raise an eyebrow, her typing was incredibly fast. You could hear a million keys gently pressed in just one second, incredible! The general sipped on his coffee, typing away himself.

There was a knock on the office door. A spy, Alex to be precise. "Enter," Hux said coldly without glancing up, "State your reason." Alex spoke rather hesitantly, "Apologies sir, I came to drop off some papers to Commander Cromwell," he replied walking towards Anna's desk and put the papers down. Before leaving, he gave her a few odd hand gestures.

Anna knew the gesture, Nebulan sign language, it was the only bit of the Nebulan sign language Alex knew, and it meant hang in there. She was thankful for his thoughtfulness and kept working, with her morale slightly boosted.

Hux raised an eyebrow but Anna didn't even notice, she just kept typing. Hux kept quiet, even though he was curious as to what the gestures were. "Sir?" Hux got snatched out of his thoughts by her soft voice, "I apologise to feature you but I'm going to get a cup of tea, would you care for another coffee?" He shook his head, "Tea actually, if you could." Anna was slightly taken aback, the general was being polite. He wasn't ordering her, he asked if she could.

She didn't let this show on her face as she left through the back door to her quarters. She began to brew the tea, it was a traditional Nebulan tea, as it's the only one she had, she hoped the general wouldn't be disappointed, otherwise she'd have hell. She added some honey and a slice of lemon before taking the mugs back to the office.

She placed the general's mug gently on his desk, its sweet aroma filling the room. Hux enjoyed the smell but he had no idea what tea it was and he was curious, it was delicious. Anna sat back at her desk sipping on her tea staring at the screen, proof reading her work to make sure there were no mistakes. Upon realising there aren't any she sent them to the general. Hux almost chocked on his tea, it was about 10 early reports for him with 3 of them for the Spy department and this was after she sent him reports she worked on last night. Surprisingly, this made this cold hearted general to wonder if she actually slept at night, but he had no idea how stressed she was in reality.

She looked calm on the outside but on the inside she was a stressed, tired mess. She won't give up the Spy Commander position, she felt as if she'd betray them by doing so and they were like family to her, since her parents were dead, and the only family she had was Alex. Well kind of, Alex isn't related to her by blood, he was a 11 year old orphan taken in by her aunt before she died too only 6 years afterwards.

She felt like crying at the thought but tried hard not to, she didn't want to look weak, especially in front of Hux. She pinched the bridge of her nose and continued to work, she thought she was pathetic for almost breaking down so she didn't allow herself a break. Even if Hux allowed her to go for a lunch break, she refused, she didn't have an appetite and she was far too busy to eat.

The end of Hux's shift came. Even if he always worked overtime tonight he decided not to and dismissed Anna, when she was about to protest he declared it an order, after her not taking a break during the day and he wanted no less than perfection in her work performance. Anna nodded and walked to her quarters.

She wasn't tired, so she decided to put her hair into a ponytail and leave her jacket as she made her way to a gym on the Finalizer.

This one was an abandoned gym that the spies decided to use and make it their own. No one protested and no one went there, this making it seem like a "spy only" area even if it wasn't, really.

Everyone wanted to avoid the spies, they seemed unapproachable and they just stuck with each other, not really talking to anyone else. They were a very mysterious group.

By the time she got there it was around 2300 hours, so there was no one there. She picked up a wooden practice sword and walked over to a training droid. Switching it on, its eyes grew crimson in colour; upon passing it a training sword, it knew the orders.

Today she kept her training very monotone in order to get bored and tired enough to want to sleep. Strike, block, dodge, repeat over and over again. It actually worked, surprisingly, as it only took 2 hours of this training to get her tired.

She sighed and walked back to her quarters. She was quite weak on her feet, not from the training (she's used to the actual torture that were military drills she planned for the spies and herself,) but because she didn't eat. She knew this wasn't good and it would have to be worked on but right now she just wanted sleep and nothing else.

Today wasn't too bad, but she feared she may have spoken too soon, considering she was now working 2 jobs. How fun! (A/N:note the sarcasm)

A/N: hello me again~ (the annoying author!) I kinda found it difficult wording what I wanted to put in this chapter (I think I made Anna's view on Hux and her jobs too complex but meh) so I hope it's ok ^^