Chapter 13: awkward departure

Hux woke up pretty early but he couldn't bring himself to open his eyes. He felt like he was hugging something warm and soft and wanted to snuggle to it longer. It had a nice smell too, it smelled of vanilla and roses, it was so familiar yet he didn't remember what it was.

He opened his eyes upon realising he was completely bare under the covers. What he saw was golden, dirty blond hair which he brushed out of the way. He was completely oblivious this morning and couldn't think from the terrible hang over he was starting to experience.

He finally started putting the pieces together, the smell, the hair, it was Anna, or more specifically he was looking at her neck. Did I leave a hickey on her!? He questioned himself as he just stared at it in shock. Shit did we?!

"You're finally awake general," Anna stated, snatching him out of his thoughts. He immediately retreated his arms from around her. "Yes my apologies," he said sitting up. She turned to face him, holding the duvet to cover her bare brests. Hux spoke up out of confusion "did we...?" Anna shook her head,
"No," she chuckled causing Hux to raise an eyebrow. "Can you explain then?" He said nervously.

She nodded, "You got drunk layed me on the bed, then passed out. I apologise, I would've went back to my quarters but I couldn't get you off." Hux pinched the bridge of his nose, he felt awfully stupid for this. He stood up and put some trousers on before handing Anna her jacket.

She put it on, knowing Hux wasnt looking, and done it up, luckily it went mid way down her thighs completely covering her. She began heading for the door, feeling very embarrassed about herself and this... situation. "Anna please be ready in an hour, we're departing for Nebula," Hux commanded without looking back at her. "Yes sir," was her reply before leaving.

Hux held his head in his hands, cursing himself for letting this happen. Now it'll be awkward at work and outside of it. Bloody great he thought sarcastically. He began getting ready for the departure having the guilt weighing him down.

Anna felt exactly the same while she was getting ready. She chose not to think about it right now in order to make sure she took everything she needed to the ship.

*time skin brought to you by the Force*

Anna was waiting next to the ships entrance, ready to depart and waiting for Hux. The man in question strode quickly towards her wanting to get to Nebula's north moon as quickly as possible, even though it'll take 2 days from their current location.

Anna followed the general inside the ship and sat down opposite him after making sure the main spy squadron was on board. Hux pulled out his datapad so he could work while Anna dug out a book from her bag and began reading. Hux glanced over at the book but couldn't make out what it was, it seemed to be written in ancient language of sorts and the front cover was hidden away behind a dust cover made of leather.

Considering this, he was surprised that Anna would know ancient languages but then again he knew Ren was fluent in Wookie which didn't seem too far off ancient languages to him.

The pair of them hated the awkward silence in the room which made Anna want to break it. "General, I want you to know that you shouldn't think too much about...you know, this morning" Anna said deciding to talk it out, maybe that would fix things. Hux gave the floor, that he was looking, at a small smile "And I want to apologise for it getting out of hand, due to my drunken state."

They both smiled, although this was awkward to talk about, it seemed like the only way to move forward, which they both knew was needed. "It's not your fault general because, I guess, I know you're not like that." That had him shocked "you think I'm not like that?" He questioned and she nodded.
"I've seen you from a different perspective to others, although you're extremely strict, you're not a monster, so yes I think you're not like that."

Hux kept his happiness hidden, no one was ever nice to him for no reason, everyone wanted something in return. Then there was Anna, she seemed different, she's a brilliant leader for the spies but not due to fear, like he was, but due to mutual respect between them. They're like a family he thought.

He noticed Anna stood up and was by her travel bag changing her normal uniform jacket to a winter one, wrapping her navy scarf around her neck. The ship was getting cold during the journey which was understandable since this ship had little heating on it but it was the only one available for this assignment.

She immediately went back to reading afterwards, not really speaking anymore.this went on for most of the time.

She was tired but didn't want to say anything. This was the only ship available and to her knowledge it only had 1 set of main quarters for the lead commander on board, so it was either sharing a room with Hux or the troops (which weren't her spies because their barracks on board were full). She didn't feel like asking so she just studied her book in more depth.

Hux noticed Anna's eyes trying to desperately stay open. "I might retire for the night, how about you Anna?" Her head shot up, she wasn't paying attention. "My apologies, I wasn't paying attention," she replied.
"I'm going to retire for the night, you?" He repeated roughly what he said earlier. "Yes of course, um...where am I sleeping?" She asked half awake. "Where ever you like, if you want the main quarters I'll sleep on the sofa, but if you want to go sleep with the troops," he paused for a moment "I won't stop you." She closed her book, placing it on her lap before stretched her arms. "I'll sleep on the sofa, it's not a problem, I've been trained to sleep in 'unfortunate' conditions," She chuckled.

Hux crossed his arms "Alright." He liked her little joke, in all honesty, he didn't really fancy sleeping on the sofa but he wanted to be polite. He had no idea why, her presence made him want to be nicer, more polite to people and why it gave him a moment of calmness, he guessed she had that effect on Ren too since he doesn't have tantrums around her. He wondered why this was.

She walked behind him to the main quarters, it seemed odd that it wasn't awkward between them anymore, when it was too much to bare only an hour ago. She wasn't complaining (it's author-chan not planning chapters properly) she still loved Hux but she wouldn't dare to tell him that. She felt ashamed of those feelings, she always felt damned in every way possible but this guilt wasn't helping.

She took off her jacket in order to use it as a blanket, even though Hux offered her an actual blanket she refused, she wasn't one to treat herself much. Hux knew this and knew better than to ask why. He kind of felt bad for taking the bed after all, but he didn't have the energy to argue with her.

Anna was turned away from him, facing the back of the sofa. She looked like she was already sleeping, he knew she was clenching her book in her arms but he had no idea why it was important, yet again he just found himself too tired and began drifting off to sleep.

The ship started having strong turbulence during the night which immediately woke the Spy Master. She assumed the ship was under attack and ran to the cockpit. When she got there the pilot said everything is alright she gave a sigh of relief, she over reacted. When it came to Nebula, or traveling there, she was always extremely cautious.

She made her way back to the main quarters with her jacket on her shoulders. She walked in silently, but she sensed the force was slightly stronger than when she left. "I know you're awake, don't pretend," she stated, leaving soundless foot steps on the polished floor. Hux sat up and turned on the light on his nightstand and asked "Everything alright?"
"Yes, I woke up from the turbulence thinking we were under attack but we're not," she replied. "Why are you awake?"
"I don't sleep much,"he said "Only 1 or 2 hours max, then I try to sleep again," he replied stretching his arms a little.

Anna sat back on the sofa picking up the book she left there and placed it on her lap, holding it in place. Hux turned on all the room lights and made his way over to her.

A/N: sorry it took a while I was away and I'll be away for 4 weeks now so idk if I'll write much. Anyway I found it hard to figure out how to make this chapter awkward and how to resolve it but I hope it's ok.