Chapter 5

Audrey's P.O.V.

I walked in my house, setting my stuff down on the couch and heading upstairs. I was halfway up the stairs when I heard my mom yell up to me.

"We'll your home early... anything wrong?"

I looked down at my phone with two message notifications.

"No, mom. Nothing's wrong, just wasn't really doing anything at school." And as I said that I jogged the rest of the stairs.

I took my shoes off along with my socks and laid down on my bed, checking my phone.

As soon as I did, I saw a text from Nick and Carter.

Hey, I'm gonna come over tn. Around nine. Already cleared it up w your mom.♡ -N

What?! Great, just what I need, Nick coming over. But then I saw Carter's.

Hey, noticed you weren't here. U ok? C.

Noticed I wasn't there? Wow, really thoughtful Carter, real thoughtful.

Yea C, I'm good. Just didn't feel well so I came home. I'll ttyl?♡-A

Then I texted Nick back.

And why didn't I know about this until now? You but randomly decide to come over and not even tell me. Anyway, if you haven't realized yet, I'm not at school. I'll ttyl or see you when you get here.♡-A

*About three hours later*

I was drying my hair from the shower when a knock came from downstairs.

"Audrey, your gonna have to get that, I'm cooking!" Mom hollered from the kitchen, which was downstairs.

Shaking out my hair, I jogged downstairs. When I reached the door, it was Nick.

I completely forgot. Great.

Plastering a smile on my face, I leaned forward to hug him.

"Hey babe, I've been waiting! Mom's cooking, I just got out the shower. That's why I took so long coming down." Laughing but already feeling guilty about forgetting about his coming over.

"Yeah, it's okay. I just haven't been over in a few days and so I checked with your mom and... she's letting me spend the night! Isn't it great? First night together. Anyway, yeah."

He said all of this in a nervous rush, rubbing the back of his neck.

I just stood there, unsure what to say in my shocked state. Finally, I snapped back to reality.

"Well, we should go tell mom your here and then we can go upstairs." I said as I grabbed his hand and led him to the kitchen.

My mom turned around and saw Nick, her entire face lighting up.

"Nick, I'm so glad you made it! Do you have all of your clothes and things?" She said, switching from bubbly to overprotective mom in a matter of seconds.

Nick just smiled, used to my mom by now. Four years is definitely enough time to get used to my mom.

"Yes ma'am, I've got all my stuff in a bag at the door. And I've missed you too." Then they hugged as if not seeing each other for a few days causes extreme sadness for the two of them.

Officially tired with them, I cleared my throat. Causing them to separate.

"Nick, I'm gonna help my mom for a minute. Just go upstairs, I'll meet you in a minute." I told Nick, staring at my mom the entire time.

"Umm, okay." He said as he walked to the front door to grab his bag and continue upstairs.

"Mom, why wasn't I told about him SPENDING THE NIGHT? And why didn't he tell me until a few minutes ago? What are you two planning?" I asked, searching for some answers.

My mom just turned around and started cooking again.

I wasn't giving up just yet. I walked over to her about to yell, when I saw she was crying.

I put my hand on her shoulder, making her stop cooking and rest her hands on the edge of the countertop.

"Mom, what's wrong?"

"It-It's your dad, Audrey."

My hand fell from heyhr shoulder, and right then, I swear a piece of me died.