Chapter Ten

Time for mom's reaction... here we go.

We both froze, my mom knocking again.

"Audrey?" My mom said, trying to turn the doorknob.

That woke both of us up from whatever trance we were in. I shoved him off, grabbing a large t-shirt from my top drawer to cover up whatever marks he'd left.

"Yea mom, hold on, I'm coming!" I told her and then looked over at Carter.

"Just lay there and act like we've been watching tv okay? Okay." He nodded, grabbing a pillow and putting it in his lap with the remote.

When I opened the door, my mom was standing there on her phone.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I asked her, ungluing her from her phone to look at me.

"Nothing, I just came to check on you. I already called the school and you have as much time as you need away from school. And-Oh, hello Carter! I didn't even realize you were here! How are you?" She said, obviously not taking in the scene that was in front of her.

He smiled awkwardly before answering, "I've been good, I heard the news and came to check on Audrey. Which turned into... watching Supernatural. Yea, Supernatural." He laughed, trying to cover up that dumbass slip up he had just made.

My mom was as calm as could be, believing him. She smiled saying, "Okay, I appreciate it. And she does too, whether she admits it or not. I'll be going back to work in a few minutes, I'll be downstairs in the kitchen."

When her footfalls became distant enough, I let out the breath I didn't realize I had been holding. I looked over at Carter, he looked guilty.

"That did not just happen." I said, causing him to look over at me.

"That most definitely did happen."

"But-"

"Audrey, it happened."

"Although-"

"Audrey."

"But-" I held my hand over his mouth so I could speak- "It shouldn't have."

He looked down at my bed, avoiding my eyes.

"Yeah, I know. But it's not like either of us refused though, right?"

"Right. And so it won't happen again." I said as I climbed off of my bed, grabbing my phone.

"Right- wait what? Why?"

I looked at him with a duh look on my face.

"Because your my best friend, not my fuck buddy. And I think you should go home."

Before he could say anything else, I went downstairs.