Chapter 15

Just when I realized that, Owen pulled into my driveway.

Sticking his head out of the window, he waved me to hurry up with his hand.

Mulling it over in my head if I really wanted to get into his car, I decided to just do it. He can't be that bad, right?

I rolled my eyes as I stood up and grabbed my phone.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm coming okay?!" Laughing as I jogged over to the passenger side and got in.

After I shut the the door and he still hadn't moved, I looked over to say something to him. But instead, I found him staring at me. Like, analyzing my face.

I waved my hand in front of his face.

"Hello? Earth to Owen?"

He just smiled and pushed my hand out from in front of his face and starting to pull out of my driveway.

Halfway down the street, I decided not to let the awkward silence continue.

"So, where are we going?"

Not looking away from the road, he shook his head at me.

"I'm not telling you, let it be a surprise, Audrey."

Trying not to take that in a suspicious way, I just didn't say anything else and took out my phone, texting Carter.

Hey.

He responded instantly.

Hey wyd?

Date? Idek.

DATE??? W/ WHO?

Owen...?

Your kidding.

Why would I make that up?

Touche.

Lol. Ik. But you two are friends... right?

Kinda.

Wym kinda?? You both play sports

So? That's so stereotypical.

Stop changing the subject. Wym kinda?

He just got weird ig

I looked over at Owen, he was still driving, and it was too dark to see anything but the passing trees.

Weird?

Yea. Wya?

In his car, why?

Get out.

Why?

Before he responded, Owen parked the car and took the key out of the ignition as he grabbed a bookbag at his feet.

"We're here?" I asked, not knowing why Carter wasn't answering me.

He smiled and answered.

"Yes, Audrey. We're here. And you should just leave your phone."

I gave him the eyebrow, confused.

"Why?"

He opened his door, stepping out.

"No service."

I looked down at my phone, he was right. Carter probably texted me back...

"Oh. Right." I said, not leaving my phone.

When we were both out of the car, he handed me a bookbag identical to his black one, but it was white instead.

"Owen?"

He looked over while adjusting his straps. "Hmm?"

"Where are we?"

"Some woods. Don't worry though, I grew up around this area. It should be fun. And you'll be fine, you have me if anything should happen." He said, winking after the last sentence.

I started to adjust my straps too, out of nervousness.

"Right." I didn't have anything else to say, I had a lot of mixed emotions at the moment about the whole situation.

He linked his fingers through mine, pulling me forward, into the trees onto an obvious trail.

"Ready?" He asked me, but I felt like he didn't care what my answer was.

I wanted to run in the opposite direction.

"Yeah, let's do this." I said, and he smiled as he pulled me further into the woods.

What did Carter mean by weird?

I really wished I had service.