CHAPTER 2: The Beginning

When we grow old, it is a common thought to think of death.
But to grow old, we are merely reborn-- It is the youngest of us that truly die.

Life and death work as one, this tangle of misconception we fail to see with our own eyes—And with beauty and grace, they dance along the threads of midnight.
Walking along the tightrope of fate, some may fall, but neither life nor death are so ignorant to stumble.

Their delicate movements intertwine with a crooked smile,
And once it seems as if they let go..
Life and Death's grasp becomes more than just art—It becomes reality...

And they will never let her go.

A girl.

One of the last of life's creations.

Born in the human realm, this particular child was watched by the goddess of life, for the purity in her heart and soul was clearer than any other child she had encountered. This girl could only compare to the first fallen. She was determined to keep her soul as pure as possible from the horrors of the greedy people around her small frame, as she lied asleep in the nursery under life's watch.

Life was afraid of her death, most importantly, just as the rest of her creations had faded away, dying as mere children to the hands of the Reaper. The purity of this heart was not destined to last, however, much to life's distress. Her fate, was to die. Just as the first fallen's fate interlaced around her body, suffocating her and taking her away from Life's grip.

She could not let that happen. She could not let the Reaper take yet another innocent youth of her many creations. Not like he did with the first fallen, or the rest.

Her heart ached at the thought of yet another child dying in her arms.

So, Life protected her, in secret, after hiding herself away in a sanctuary where no other god or goddess could find her. She maintained this sanctuary as her home, where beauty and prosperity could live on forever in such a delicate place. Only the most beautiful parts of life remained there, and nothing vile such as death could enter. After her first creation died once an illness had struck her at such a young age, Life herself ran, and hid away in sorrow. She could not face the other gods, for she had created the ultimate sin--

She had tried to bring the dead back to life.

She could not take the death of her first creation, and tried to take back her soul. She was desperate to revive her, and see her one last time. But she never did see that smile that she had longed for once again, and never did hear that pure heart ever beat once more in sync with the metronome of life.

She had failed, and unknowingly created a beast within the realms due to her mistakes. To this day, no god knew what she had created with her number one sin, not even herself, and that alone would lead to the destruction of almost everything she had ever created.

She could not take the loss of yet another fallen's soul, so pure, and under her wing. This human had the power to hold both the power of chaos, and the power of tranquility-- She needed to protect her eyes, and her soul. Life had hoped to steer her in the right direction upon watching over her, growing fonder and fonder of this being she called 'human'. Her heart would not taint, Life had pleaded to herself day after day, her heart shall remain pure and unscratched until she was of age.

The age where she could communicate with the child directly.

Life craved the happiness that she had with her first fallen, but none of her creations were the same. She had hoped to cure the remaining darkness in her heart from the first fallen, and become pure again. However, you could not untaint a wounded soul that easily.

One could ask why life was so kind to such a being that did not deserve such mercy or hope. Such a vile creature that only believed in selfish actions and greedy instincts, could not deserve to live with such peace, that was born with such a rotten core. It was ironic, Life's creations, including humans, were her ignominy. Such a being that destroyed everything in it's path was horrifying to watch, and she hung her head in shame as their creator.

However, this reason in particular was the reason why Life desired to protect such a pure heart. Because this human was not yet tainted by the true horrors of her fellow species. She wanted to know what made this child in particular so special to have such a merciful soul, so she could create the perfect creature, the perfect being, and the perfect society.

She wanted nothing but to see the smiles of the people, rather than the devastation that they brought everywhere they went.

Plagued by emotions and loss, she became obsessed with the girl. Her last creation. And watched her for over 16 years, shaking her head at the society that she had to live in.

Frisk.

She was Life's last hope, and last bit of happiness.

She fought everyday to keep her alive, bending the rules to protect her ever since she was a newborn, and changed the fate of her entire life.

Life knew the Reaper would find her eventually, and take her away, just as he did with her other children, however, Life was determined to prove to herself that her creation, humanity, could be perfected, after so many generations and millennia. It was terrifying that it took her so long to remotely scratch the surface of the mistakes she had made with such a tainted being.

The Reaper would find her.

Sooner than life would have expected.

And thus would open a great destructive imbalance of power, once Life's emotions would take over her poor soul once more. As what had happened with the first fallen child.

Her soul will weap in such a great sorrow, and the King's tears will rain from the heavens for several weeks.

There is no escaping fate.
There is no escaping chaos.

There is no escaping Death.

Or so, that's what the legend says.

But the story is only just beginning.